38

I get stirred awake by fighting, my arms are tied to a chair, my legs tied together.

"Mila!"

"I said when she is awake!" I look at the two people screaming, Amari and Mila, going at it. "Would you look at that, glad you can join us."

"Why am I tied up?"

"That's what we are all going to talk about."

"What is going on?"

"We are getting to that, patience."

"I heard from a little bee that you were in Paris and I thought we should have a chat."

"Okay, tell me why you put a hit on Abiya?"

"What?" When did she find that out?

"That is such a fun story to tell. Let's start with the part where you broke your promise."

"What promise?"

"To marry me, I was on track to taking over the family business, I was set until you broke up with me and my parents gave the helm back to my brother."

"What does it have to do with Abiya"

"I wanted you to feel the pain that I do, I wanted you to feel the hopelessness that I felt because of your broken promise, and you would have had that fuckard not fucked up."

"You killed my boyfriend over a promise?"

"Over my destiny,"

"Why me? She broke up with me, more than a year ago."

"But she loves you, so much, and hurting you, hurts her. Tell her,"

"What?"

"Tell her how much you love her."

"She knows,"

"Clearly not."

"Trust me, I do."

"Then why do you act like there is no love between you two?"

"Because life happens Mila, I moved on, I am pregnant and she can't love me the way I need her to, so."

"I feel you, we were in a loveless relationship but the promise of marriage to her moved so many obstacles,  I want that back."

"Can you untie my legs, they are swelling."

"Oh, Isaac, please." She asks of the man in the corner. He unties my legs and undoes my shoes

"Thank you both, killing me won't force her to marry you, it will get you killed, Mila. You just need to find another way to get the helm back."

"It is not just about the helm, people actually respected me, held my opinion in high regard all because I was engaged to her, the eldest Goncharov."

"I never got those, I think maybe they did that because you were more confident in yourself and not focused on what you don't have."

"But you would not understand, you don't have a family empire to take over,  no offense nor do you move in the circles we do. There are few names that make waves, her two surnames, Rumming, Akbar, and so on."

"Mila, why are we tied to chairs?"

"You love interrupting me, Amari. It's easy because you would shoot me the moment your hands are free. I am not going to live long, I know that. If I kill you, your parents are going to tear my family apart, if I kill Abiya, you will kill me and tear up my family. If I leave you both, you are going to kill me and leave my family. The ball is in my court."

"If you leave us, unharmed, I will make her promise to let you live."

"She won't,"

"I will. Look, Mila, I am not a grudge person, I will let this go and even donate to your foundation for the next five years if you let us go."

"How am I supposed to trust this?"

"Trust me, I will make sure she does not hurt you."

"Abiya, you don't know that, I know Amari, she will cripple me."

"I understand you are scared but you have my word, you will not be harmed," Amari says looking into Mila's eyes "Just let us go."

"Amari, I have one last question, why did you break up with me?"

"We were not happy and I wanted you to find someone who can make you happy, you deserve that." this is what I am talking about, it is a nice sentiment but she acts as though loving her is as painful as hugging a cactus.

"I am going to untie Abiya then, I will leave and you can untie Amari once I have left."

"Okay." she unties the knot in the ropes tying me to the chair, she runs out of the room followed by her bodyguard. Instead of standing up to untie Amari, I stay on the chair.

"So how many of your exes did you break up with so they can be happy?"

"We are not doing this."

"No, we are. You are fucking women up with your bullshit because you won't go to fucking therapy, Ri."

"Abiya,"

"Amari."

"Untie me."

"Not until you admit that you have attachment issues and not until you promise not to go after Mila and that you will go to therapy."

"Do you want to tell me how to run my business?"

"You need help, professional help."

"Abiya, untie me."

"No. Not until you admit and promise." she lets out a deep breath. We sit in silence.

"I promise not to go after Mila."

"And?"

"No."

"Therapy is good for you, so you can connect to your next partner better and not leave them because you feel hard to want and love."

"Just let me go."

"No."

We stayed for an hour and she finally broke.

"Fine, I will go to therapy for my attachment issues." finally, I can go to sleep. I undo the knot before she gets out of the ropes and stares at me. "You need to eat before you sleep."

"I am fine."

"The last time you ate was four hours ago, I will order something for you if you don't. The only reason I agreed to go to therapy is so I can call the chef. What do you want?"

"Amari, I just want to sleep."

"Not before you eat."  she is not letting this go

"Chicken and rice." she nods before fetching her phone. She is going to be a great person post-therapy.

*****

I feel like this is a trainwreck but not all stories are fairytales, right?