52

How did I underestimate how big this event was? Simple, my small-town brain could not comprehend hundreds of people in a single venue.

We walked the red carpet with cameras flashing and the photographers screaming at us to smile, I found it hard to smile when I am being asked to do so but Ri faked that smile so naturally and she brought it out of me when she kissed my nose.

We were welcomed by her parents who led us to where we shall be sitting.

"Abiya!" Asa comes running to hug me, she wraps her arms around me and I do the same with her "It has been forever."

"It has. How have you been?"

"Great. I just had a show in Dubai so I am happy as a motherfucker that I have accomplished one of my biggest dreams."

"That is great! I saw some of your looks and they look amazing, you truly are an amazing designer.

"Thank you, Yaya. It actually means so much coming from you."

"You should be extremly proud of yourself, but where is your twin sister?"

"She is somewhere sulking that she was dragged here, Mari, can I steal her?" she does not wait for her response before whisking me away. She is wearing a cocktail dress with her hair in an updo, she looks adorable.

"I know I sent a letter but I would like to thank you again for the birthing gifts." when everyone found out that I had given birth, Neo and I received gifts from Ri's entire family, including Ri. I was shocked, to say the least because we were not speaking and at that point it was clear we had no future together but it felt good to know that I still held a place in their hearts.

"I was happy to hear that you gave birth to a baby girl so I had to go all out with the presents."

"Who did you hear it from?"

"George was facetiming Mari so we all kind of heard when you were giving birth." I will kill George

"I did not know that, I feel a bit embarrassed."

"Don't be, you know we consider you family so we were all ecstatic that you had a safe delivery."

"Abiya, you are here?" Ara gets up from her seat to hug me, she is in a grey suit ensemble with her hair slicked back, as always she looks mature and reserved, all the things she is.

"In the flesh, you look good."

"Thank you, you look better." smiles surround me

"Awe, that means a lot. How have you been? I was talking to Asa and she said you don't want to be here."

"Yeah, these things bore me but I have to be here."

"Family?"

"Family." she shrugs "But how are you, how is the baby?"

"She is great, troublesome but what can you expect from a four-year-old I am good too. "

"She is four?" they ask in unison

"Yeah. She is about to turn five soon."

"Has it been that long?"

"Sure has but if you guys would like I can invite you to her birthday party this year."

"We would love that." in unison yet again.

"Would you like to see a few photos of her?"

"Of course! I wanted to ask but thought it would be weird." Ara comments

"No, it's okay. Here is a selfie she took while we were in Ri's office, here is her at the mall, this is her playing with your mom yesterday, on the plane..." they seem so happy to look at pictures of Neo on my phone.