41

*Four years later*

"No, I am coming, the babysitter was late."

"Hurry up, before he gets here." Today is George's twenty-seventh birthday party and everyone is going to be there. Kaiser and his wife flew in from Indonesia, Zale and Naledi also drove from Johannesburg while the rest of us drove from our homes around Norfolk.

When I got there, they were still waiting to surprise him, he is five minutes away.

"Remember it's Surprise, not Happy Birthday." Zale reminds everyone. Over the years even though we spend most of our lives apart, we try our best to make it for these big milestone moments because they matter most to many of us.

"He is in the building, ready yourselves." we wait for him, in silence, it is quite creepy now that I am here because I feel as though this is what serial killers do, the plot of most horror movies.

The door opens before the light is switched on

"Surprise!" and two happy birthdays

"Guys! I thought you guys forgot! All of this for me?" I take a look at the person standing next to him, in a form-fitted dress, black in colour, her hair in an updo with bangs framing her face is Amari.

The party goes on, I wish George a blessed happy birthday and we talk for a while before I need the bathroom.

I head to the one in his room as the other two are occupied. Walking into his room, I expected it to be dirty but it was clean and fresh. As I walk out of the bathroom, she walks out of his closet.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"You look good."

"Thank you, you look great, how are you?" she looked better

"Therapy is good, making significant progress."

"That's good to hear, I am happy for you."

"I heard that you gave birth to a baby girl."

"Yeah, Neo, she is going to be four soon." a moment of silence passes

"You..." "We..." we speak over each other.

"You first," she says

"I did not expect to see you here."

"I missed three birthdays, couldn't miss a fourth. We should catch up while I am still in town." should I?

"You tell me when and where, I will be there."

"Okay. I am glad I saw you today."

"Me too." I genuinely am. Seeing her brought excitement to my blood and it makes me want to be around her more, it has been some time since I last felt this way.

I walk out before her, she is close behind me and part of me wishes she would pull me by the waist and kiss me but maybe she is over that, over me.

Standing next to Naledi and Zale, I watch her as she laughs with George and two girls I have never seen before

"You are green."

"huh?"

"Jealous. You should go talk to her." I already have

"We just spoke."

"When?"

"After I was done in the bathroom, she said we should hang out sometime so I don't know."

"Give it time for today, let's dance."

We danced, we drank and we sang all before we headed home one by one but I stayed back a bit longer. George is drunk on the floor shouting obscene things, Amari helps him drink some water.

"Abiya, can you come help me drag him off to bed?" getting up from the chair to help her, I feel a bit dizzy myself.

We get him in bed and she takes off his trousers before covering him in his blankets.

"Thank you." I nod "Do you have a ride home?"

"Uhm, I was planning on calling an Uber."

"I would not mind taking you home."

"Well, if you don't mind, I won't either, are you leaving now?"

"I was planning on it."

"Okay, then I can go with you. Let me fetch my coat and bag." I head to his guest bedroom and take my coat and bag before heading downstairs, she was waiting in the lobby for me.

She lead me to the car and opened the door for me before making her way into the passenger seat.

"So when did you get here?"

"This morning, Zale asked that I keep George busy for the day."

"Did you only come for his birthday?"

"Mostly but I also have business this side."

"legal?"

"I don't think that's any of your business, Bibi."

"I was just asking."

"I was merely answering and I answered truthfully."

"You can be kind with the truth."

"I am sorry, I should have been kinder." she apologized?

"Thank you."

"No need to thank me." she has been going to therapy.

She dropped me off at home and made sure I was safe.

***************

A feel a second chance love coming

******