III.

When she was a child, Natalia had discovered that her brother, Niklaus, loved to paint

He would spend hours dragging her through the woods to find the perfect flowers to make the right colors. Sometimes he swore to her that he had created new colors never seen by man. Other times he would fill bowls with his paints and store them until he ran out. Only to repeat the cycle.

However, after their brother, Henrik, died tragically, Mikael forbade them from ever going too far into the woods. And in order to ensure that they listened, he would set traps out that normally they would use to catch deer or small game.

They couldn't risk getting caught, and soon, Niklaus could no longer paint without access to the flowers he needed.

Natalia watched for a long few days as her brother grew sad and bored, and she couldn't bear it. It hurt her further when Mikael berated him even more for her brother's behavior.

You should learn to hold a sword, boy, instead of frolicking in the woods with your whore of a sister, Mikael would say.

Doing the only thing she could, Natalia stole her mother, Esther's, grimoire to learn a spell that would help her grow any flower she so desired.

She picked a tree beside their home, before casting her magic to bloom flowers of all shades and colors, and when she was done, she went to Niklaus to show him what she had done for him.

The smile on his face that day when he saw those flowers had to be the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

"You did this for me, Talia?" Niklaus asked her, on the verge of tears.

Natalia had grabbed his hand in hers. "Nik, I would change the entire world for you," She answered.

And he had hugged her so tight.

An hour after that, Mikael discovered the grimoire in Natalia's hands and had grown livid—and when he had tried to strike her for stealing, Niklaus had stepped in front of her. That was the first time that Niklaus had ever yelled at their father.

"Do not ever put your hands on my sister!"

And Natalia could only sob as she watched Mikael beat down Niklaus for daring such a thing. Over something she had done.

They were nine years old, then.

Niklaus meant everything to Natalia, and the others knew that as a fact. Only they could understand the torment of Mikael's wrath, and the displacement of Esther's love. They were twins, and Finn once said it best, that they were two halves of one soul.

They were soulmates, through and done.

Over the course of a thousand years, Niklaus and Natalia felt that they only ever had each other to count on, to trust. They knew that no matter what the other had done—they would never leave each other behind. No one would ever be above them or come between them.