VI.

natalia's dinner dress above^

music for the chapter:
Hold Me Like You Used To -Zoe Wees

Days passed, and Natalia found herself at an impasse.

She had hexed Jeremy, after those fools tested her and Damon deceived her. And while she was still quite anger about that, it wasn't that which boggled her mind.

It was the mere fact that those same fools had somehow gotten their hands on a silver dagger.

Nik always kept the three daggers he used on Elijah, Rebekah, and Kol in his personal care and hidden. She knew that he kept them hidden in a statue bust in his bedroom. And she also knew that he wouldn't dare hand them out willy-nilly, even if they didn't work on himself.

So, who could have possibly taken one from right under his nose?

"Nik!" Natalia called, descending down the stairs, the dagger hidden in the waistband of her jeans, "Nik!" She pouted as she looked around the quiet mansion as she had been all morning.

She just couldn't find her twin anywhere—or it was highly possible he was ignoring her, still.

Niklaus could hold a grudge.

Just as she had reached the last step, Elijah appeared before her with a not so pleased expression and his hands clasped in front of himself. A tell-tale sign that he was not happy.

"Natalia, a word?"

Natalia stopped to look down at him from the last step. Her frown grew at him. "Before you accuse me of anything, I'd like to eagerly defend myself by blaming Nik," She retorted playfully.

Elijah didn't crack a smile at her joke.

"Oh, dear, you're angry." Her eyes rolled. "Well, have at it. What great accusations have you conspired to levy against me?"

"For starters, Elena Gilbert has called upon me to bring quite the matter to my attention. You hexed her brother with one of your mind spells," Elijah stated.

At that, she couldn't deny even if she wanted to.

Natalia smirked with pride. "Oh, that." She moved to round him, but Elijah stepped into her way, which made her glare at him with annoyance. "What do you care if I have a little fun, Elijah?" She glowered.

"We have power, but we don't have to be monsters." Elijah gave her a dead-panned stare. "I thought I told you to stay your hand," He reminded.

"I wouldn't have hexed the boy if they had stayed their hand," Natalia growled back, stepping up to him with a deadly expression, "If you've come to tell me to fix the boy, you are sorely mistaken. I do not take orders from you."

One that made Elijah lift his chin with poise and calm.

"Are you challenging me?" His voice grew low, dark.