XVII.

Natalia looked up at the cabin in the woods

Natalia looked up at the cabin in the woods. She stood there with this feeling in her bones that something wasn't right yet she couldn't pinpoint what it was. It was just a feeling that pricked at the back of her mind.

She kept on guard even as she stepped out of the car while outlooking the darkness of the woods. Her eyes glanced up at the moon high up in the sky.

Her phone showed no signal.

Frowning, she looked around once more before walking up to the front porch of the cabin. The lights were on inside, as she could see from the windows, but as she pushed it open and was about to head in—a body slammed into hers, clasping a hand around her mouth while she gasped in fear.

"Shh, Shh, it's just me, it's me. You're safe," Kol whispered to her. He was breathing heavily and shaking.

As Natalia turned in his arms, she looked at him about to yell at him for scaring her, but she froze. "Kol," She breathed out.

Her little brother was disheveled, covered in blood. His eyes shifting all around the wooded area and even inside the cabin.

"What's happened? Where's Nik?" She asked worriedly.

Kol scowled deeply, looking at her. "What are you talking about? Niklaus isn't here."

Natalia frowned. "He sent me a text this morning. The address to this cabin. Look..." She showed him the text on her phone, and while he looked at it, she looked him over for injury. "This isn't your blood..."

"No, it's not." Kol didn't elaborate more on that as he took her phone in his hand. "You don't get it. Our brother isn't here—I got a spelled note come to me sent from you to meet you here," He explained.

At that, Natalia's heart dropped.

She gave her brother a confused look, and shook her head. "Kol...I never sent any such spell..."

Kol looked at her in a way that showed that he had long realized that. "Elena's kid brother, Jeremy, he and Alaric are hunting me down with Tyler and Caroline. They are scattered around these woods..." He frowned deeply. "...I managed to take Tyler on easily, but the witch is here too, somewhere...I think they're working with Father."

"What makes you say that?" Natalia asked, angered.

Just then, Kol pressed the call button on her phone...and Klaus' ringtone rang loud and clear for them nearby.

Natalia's and Kol's hearts stopped in unison, both looking at each other with fearful expressions.

Slowly, they stepped to the side to view inside the cabin and its open door.