XIV.

The weather in Mystic Falls was unusually dreadful for the day

The weather in Mystic Falls was unusually dreadful for the day. The sunny sky had transformed into grey clouds and thundering rain. Heavy winds swayed the trees, and blew leaves in every direction.

Many of the townsfolk had closed shop and went home to ride out the unusual storm in their homes and with their families.

The clock in town square was struck with lightning, and the hands froze time. Because the square was empty of people, no one had taken notice of the women sitting there.

Natalia sat criss-crossed near the ledge. Her eyes closed and brows furrowed in concentration. Red aura spewed and danced around her body in bright hues, while her fingers were lifted into the air.

She would flick her wrist, and lightning would strike down into the streets.

Her magic controlled the raging storm with careful precision.

Her eyes, though closed, moved rapidly under her lids. In her minds' eye, she was scouring the town for them. Easily finding the people she searched for in their home.

There was Elena, standing in the Salvatore living room. And Stefan standing beside her in a protective manner.

And in front of them—there the devil himself was.

Mikael looked as cruel and authoritative as she remembered him to be. He was healthy, which meant he had fed and had strengthen himself up to do as he vowed. To kill and end their species, starting with his own children. And there would be no love lost, as there wasn't an ounce of love in Mikael any longer.

"Have Klaus and Natalia left the country?"

Just hearing Mikael say her name made her skin crawl.

Natalia let out a shaky breath, but kept focus. Even though all of her instincts yelled at her to run.

"I can't tell you." Stefan revealed with a strained voice. "I've been compelled by Klaus and he says to keep my damn mouth shut."

"Can't you find them another way?" Elena asked in a scared voice, rightfully so, "We've both been compelled."

Natalia praised her twin's quick-thinking to compel those two to keep their whereabouts hidden.

Elena practically cowered when Mikael's cold eyes shifted to her. "I refuse to waste my time and let them slip through my fingers. The faster I get to my abominations, the faster I can kill them. I've been a vampire hunter longer than either of you have been alive, combined. I know what I am doing," He stated.

Suddenly, Mikael grabbed Stefan and rammed his hand through his chest.

"Stefan!" Elena gasped, fear striking her features as she looked at the menace, "Stop!"