XX.

|

|

Damon stood in front of the fireplace in the living room. He stared into the fire while drinking his bourbon, drinking away what little soreness was left of the healing process from Natalia's attack. His thoughts filled with nothing but her.

He couldn't get out of his head the way she looked at him so heart-broken and terrified.

"I wish I could show you what that feels like," She had cried to him, "but I can't."

His eyes closed, the sound of her voice making his heart ache. He began pacing the floor as he drank more.

This was when Stefan entered the room, looking pissed as ever. "I thought you said you could talk to her," He said in disbelief.

"Not now, Stefan," He growled in irritation.

The last thing he needed was his brother breathing down his back like the others had been. They were looking at him all with disdain after what happened, a feeling he should have been used to, but he felt was unwarranted in this situation.

He didn't do anything wrong.

Natalia hadn't either, until they pushed and poked and pushed her again.

He still remembered laying on the couch with her in his arms, hiding away from the world as they made love and lost each other in their sweet whispers and kisses. It was the most peace he ever had in a long time, and he wasn't sure he could get that back now.

Not with the way Natalia looked at him, now.

Stefan didn't stop talking, and instead he pushed forward. "Natalia almost killed Bonnie!"

"I know, Stefan, I was there," Damon snapped as he turned to his brother. "None of this would have happened if you'd just listened to me! I told all of you to stop pushing, that I could convince Nat to get Klaus and the others to leave without killing anybody but you couldn't stop pushing!"

"When are you going to realize she is just like Klaus," Stefan fired back. "You're wrong about her. You don't understand what she's capable of—!"

"I don't care what she's capable of, I just want her!" Damon finally yelled, his face red and his heart pounding. The rage was a long time coming, but now he couldn't help but let it all out. "I don't care about your excuses or reasons, or whatever the hell point you want to make for going after her. Don't you understand?!"

Stefan stared at him in disbelief.

And Damon was far from done. "Natalia is the first girl in over a hundred years to make me feel alive again, and I'm talking full on—heart-stopping, mind-numbing, day-dreamingly alive. Being away from her feels like I can't breathe. Like I'm losing my mind until I have her in my arms again. She is all I cared about right now and you—" Damon stepped forward with so much emotion. "—you hurt her!" His eyes were wide with anger and sadness. "And seeing that hurts me," He said with intensity.