XXII.

|

|

Damon woke up slowly, his body feeling strangely at ease.

At first, he couldn't remember what he was doing lying on the bed until he turned his head and the pleasant sight of Natalia's peaceful face and her soft breaths were before him. He blinked the morning haze from his eyes and opened them to look over at her.

She's on her side pressed closely against him, her dark blonde hairs spread out on the pillow. It was times like this where he forgot all about the terrifying power that she wielded, and she simply was a beautiful woman in his arms.

A small smile played at the corners of his lips as he watched her for a few more moments before he kissed the top of her hair. She still smelled of alcohol but, truth be told, he didn't really care.

She was here where she belonged, in his arms.

He would have stayed there all morning, just watching her sleep so peacefully—until he heard the door and the voices downstairs.

Stefan and Elena had just entered the boarding house. And they would not be pleased to see Natalia Mikaelson here.

But that wasn't his concern—it was that he really didn't want Natalia's morning to be ruined by them. He wouldn't let them scare her away again.

He sighed, knowing the moment of peace he and Natalia have together would about to be ruined if he didn't head down there now.

He glanced over at her for a moment, taking one last memory of the picture of a peaceful and beautiful Natalia before slipping out of the bed. She let out a soft whine that almost made him want to groan, but he made sure she cuddled into his pillow and sheets before fully departing from bed.

When he reached the door, he opened it quietly as to not wake his lover and made his way downstairs to see Stefan and Elena in the living room.

He didn't speak to them much, not unless they approached him to ask for something.

And by the look in Elena's eyes, he knew this was one of those annoying cases.

"Damon," Elena breathed out. Her eyes taking him in with relief. "Hey, we were just gonna call you. We weren't sure if you were home. We have a plan to deal with the Mikaelsons."

Damon's eyes narrow when he saw Elena's confident expression and attitude. He crossed his arms and leaned against the door frame. "And what plan is that?" He asked her, waiting for her response.

Before she could speak, Stefan spoke, turning to his brother. "You smell like a bar," He pointed out.

The smell wasn't Damon, it was from holding a drunk Natalia all night. The idea of it made him smile slightly.

He let out an agitated sigh. "I got drunk and stayed at the bar," he lied smoothly.

"You don't look hungover," Stefan retorted.