XI.

music for the chapter//: we can form an attachment -kris bowers

we can form an attachment -kris bowers

"Damon Salvatore is going to try and dagger you, tonight." The words floated into the air and hung there around her while she stared back at her brother.

They stood somewhere on the second story, in a study room that had a balcony. If they neared the doors and pulled the curtains, they would have been able to see the party continuing to reign down below. None of those people below the wiser.

Nik and Natalia were standing close in the center of the room, so that they may speak in hushed whispers. And surprised, she could only show her shock through wide eyes and parted lips.

His words suddenly slammed her back into her senses.

That light, airy feeling in her chest from dancing with Damon was gone with the wind. And the darkness around her heart returned, unknowingly.

"How do you know this?" She questioned him, especially worried at how dire his expression was. There was very little that could put her brother truly on edge. This happened to be one of those things.

"Does it matter?" Nik frowned down at her. "All that matters is I speak the truth. If he attempts to dagger you, Talia, you will not be merciful. You will stop this petty game between the two of you, and you will kill him. Do I make myself clear?"

He sounded so angry.

She glanced at the balcony doors, unable to think properly as she envisioned the way he had scooped her from those steps and swept her onto the dance floor. She could still see his smile and feel the warmth radiating from his body when he held her close.

Why was she not surprised to learn that it was all an act? How could she have let her guard down again, knowing that he had played this game before?

Damon truly didn't care for her at all.

"Nik," Natalia looked up at him quietly, fingers clasping in front of her, and a stoic expression that she tried hard to maintain, "Elijah is in love with Ellana, and he plans to dagger you, too."

Nik pursed his lips, jaw clenching as he too glanced at the balcony doors. His eyes squinted with silent thought. But he didn't look angry, surprisingly. In fact, there was nothing on his features but betrayal. "We will deal with our traitorous brother soon enough." He turned back to her, reaching up and cupping her cheek as he stared into her eyes with seriousness.

She stared back at him, also hurt.

"We have enemies on all sides of us. Once again, time proves that we have no one to truly trust but each other. Tonight, they would have us wounded, torn apart. But you and I, Talia, we know better. We are better." He shook her gently, nodding sternly. "Do your duty, sweetheart, and kill Damon Salvatore."