IX.

song rec//: rolling in the deep -adele

song rec//:
rolling in the deep -adele

It was a warm and sunny afternoon in Mystic Falls. The town was up and about, readying for the Founder's Day Party to be had at the Lockwood Mansion tonight.

Natalia had used it as the perfect day to drag her twin away from his lover, and bring him out on her own so that the two of them could talk without the prying eyes and ears of others.

They walked together side by side, with Natalia holding onto his elbow. Her—dressed in a black dress, gloves, and an umbrella—as classical and formal as ever.

Nik didn't mind her dramatics. He liked that his sister knew her place and how she commanded respect and attention.

As they walked, all eyes were on them but they loved it. They both did.

"Have you and your precious Ellana caught up with lost time?" Natalia broke the silence between the two. Her tone giving away much of her thoughts of the woman.

Nik caught onto her tone to which he gave her a gentle look of scolding. "You don't approve of her," He pointed out.

"She's beautiful, as well" Natalia continued, ignoring him, "I sure hope her beauty doesn't blind you, dear brother."

"Are you trying to imply something? Out with it, Talia."

"She's irritably kind. She's good. But you sent me here to kill her friends," Natalia looked over at him, "How will she react once I achieve that? Will she still love you when she realizes you gave me the order to kill everyone she cares about?"

Nik stopped walking as they stepped in front of the Mystic Grill doors. He rolled his eyes when Natalia handed him the umbrella, and he had to close it for her. His hard stare looking at her directly.

"Natalia, I understand that you aren't used to sharing my attention—"

She rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"—however, I will not take lightly to fruitless accusations. Mind your tongue when you speak of Ellana," Nik warned her.

"I wish only to protect you, Nik." She frowned at him. "From those who would do you harm. Especially those with whom you choose to place trust in. Do you not trust me?"

"Of course I trust you," Nik interrupted.

"Just not when it comes to Ellana?"

"You said it yourself that she's good."

"Good can be easily corrupted, I would know," Natalia warned him as she stepped forward, "Don't underestimate the allure of darkness, brother, even the purest hearts are drawn to it."