Chapter 9 - Deviation

Lan XiChen stared with both sorrow and confusion at his irate uncle, as Lan QiRen raved and swore. More rules broken...

Lan XiChen tried to control his wayward thoughts, unconsciously counting the offenses his uncle continued to commit against the very foundations of the Lan Clan. Uncomfortable and upset, he clung to his own self control like a lifeline as he watched the man who had raised him and taught him to respect Rules and Conduct above all else, wallow in the depths of self-indulgent emotions and irrational responses.

Questions arose in the privacy of his mind, did Uncle QiRen think he was above the Rules? Did he not honour the Rules by which he had sworn to live his life? What madness possessed him to abandon a lifetime of propriety? How could he be so ignited by the choices of another? Was he succumbing to madness after all? Was he... Lan XiChen stopped himself abruptly. Not even in the privacy of his thoughts could he call his uncle insane... or could he?

Eventually the unusual sound of a senior elder, and the Grandmaster at that, throwing a first class tantrum drew attention and disciples began to gather outside the door to his dwelling. Inside Lan XiChen worked to calm his uncle, speaking soothingly, offering tea, trying to initiate meditation, in short, trying everything he knew to cool a teapot that insisted on boiling.

Finally, in desperation, he opened the door slightly, aggrieved to see the crowd of young men, knowing they were witnessing the unheard of disintegration of an elder. Quickly he scanned their faces, finally finding the one he sought.

"SiZhui! Please, quickly find Healer Zhang and bring him here. Grandmaster is..." he stopped, lost for words. "Grandmaster is unwell and needs his help. Please hurry!" With that unprecedented request, he closed the doors again, knowing his nephew would fulfill his quest in the shortest time possible. Sure enough, within a short span there was a knock at the entry and Lan XiChen opened the doors only enough to admit the Healer, making eye contact with Lan SiZhui and nodding his appreciation before quickly closing the doors once more.

Lan XiChen froze a moment, thinking of the questioning faces gathered about the entrance outside. Taking a deep breath, he quickly reopened the doors.

"Please resume your activities. Grandmaster is unwell and will feel much better when you are about your business." This time the doors were shut with an air of finality and the crowd began to drift away, most of the disciples incapable of speech at this unheard of turn of events.

Healer Zhang was finding Lan QiRen quite the handful, as he struggled to have him sit still so his pulse could be read. He tried to inspect his eyes, but the man would not stop pacing as he raved. Finally, with an apologetic look at Lan XiChen, he raised his hands and caught Lan QiRen right in his Meridian acupoints as he passed. The effect was instantaneous, and the irate man curled towards the floor, quickly caught in the arms of Healer Zhang and Lan XiChen.

The two men moved Lan QiRen over to his bed, smoothly arranging him on his back in the habitual posture of rest adopted by the Lan Clan. The Healer sat beside the immobile man and ran his diagnostics, read his pulse, inspected his Qi and Meridians, the Core...Healer Zhang drew back with a gasp.

"What is it?" asked Lan XiChen. "What's wrong with Uncle? Can you tell what is happening? He has had a shock this morning, but his response is unbelievable. I know something is wrong, so please tell me so I can help him."

The Healer wore a strange expression on his face as he looked up at the younger man, hovering over his silent uncle. How to explain? This was rare, so rare he had only ever read about it once years ago, and even then only because unusual weather had trapped him indoors for such an extended time that even fading ancient health records became entertainment. And even within the rarity, there was an element that had never been so much as whispered within the Healing Hall.