Chapter 29 - Questioning

Lan XiChen pinched the bridge of his nose as he tried to keep his focus on yet another droning recitation of perceived injustice. He was grateful for the interruption when informed that his brother would like to speak with him. He sat back a moment, slightly surprised. He had expected the inspection of his uncle's residence would be a simple matter of exhausting all possibilities, and he had not cherished any real hope of a breakthrough. He placated the local official before him, smoothed over his concerns and sent him homeward with a promise of further discussions soon. A moment to settle his mind and he had Lan WangJi and Wei WuXian summoned before him.

Lan WangJi entered, appearing every bit as imperturbable as always, the perfect cool, carved Jade made flesh. Wei WuXian was another story. Excitement had heightened his colour and he was stunningly beautiful, practically radiating with each light step. Silver eyes rippled and shifted like liquid mercury, and he moved with a barely contained urgency. In both hands, like a gift, he carried a Spirit Guarding Pouch as if it were the treasure of the Heavens. The two men came to Lan XiChen, bowed and seated themselves before his desk.

"Brother?" inquired Lan XiChen.

"Mn," responded Lan WangJi, inclining his head and changing his gaze to his husband.

"We found something," announced Wei WuXian. "I think we may have the first bit of real evidence to look at since your uncle was taken ill."

A small envelope was removed from the Spirit Guarding Pouch and placed carefully on the desk between them. A dish was requested and placed in front of Lan XiChen, before the contents of the envelope were carefully poured within. A few tiny pellets, almost like miniature pills, poured forth and rattled on the porcelain.

"This," declared Wei WuXian. "We think this is how your uncle had his Qi unbalanced. This is how the resentful energy was able to reach him. We don't know an awful lot yet, but look at this..."

With that, Wei WuXian placed his finger solidly on one small pellet. As before, the wisp of resentful energy drew forth, sinuously travelling around his finger and up his hand, until he ceased the contact and dispelled the energy with a quick flick of his wrist.

"I don't know how, I've never seen this magic before, but the pellets are just full of resentful energy."

"What are these? Where did you find them?" asked Lan XiChen.

"They were in your uncle's home. We found them in the drawer of a small chest in his bedchamber. They were with a small grooming comb – did you ever notice how vain your uncle is about this beard? – and they are the only thing we found bearing resentful energy."

"What are they?"

"Well, that's a bit harder to answer." Wei WuXian shrugged. "We don't know for sure, but since they were found in a private area, and the only thing found with them is his beard comb.... well, they kind of look like a prescription, except they're the wrong size and colour, but... do you know if your uncle takes anything? To help his beard grow, you know? I mean, he'd not be the first man to want to kind of help nature along now, would he?"

The two Jades exchanged a look. Lan WangJi almost smiled. Lan XiChen did.

"Yes, we know all about our uncle's... fondness for his beard," answered Lan XiChen. "But I have no idea if he tries to encourage it by any method."

Turning to one side he waved over his aide for the day. "Please ask Zhiyou XinLao to come see me at once," he asked before turning back to the two before his desk. "If anyone knows this about Uncle, it would be his personal attendant."

The three men sat perusing the pellets in the dish, speculating about their origins until a short, round man was brought forward, bowing and bobbing, a nervous expression on his cherubic features.