Chapter 49 - Healing

An anxious day of waiting dragged out, while the Grandmaster remained safely in stasis in the care of the Healing Hall. Lan XiChen stopped over several times, welcoming the break from his letter writing campaign, and the importuning of various elders demanding a miraculous fix for events that no one could possibly provide. Healer Zhang was pleased to report that with every passing hour the Grandmaster was in better health. His spiritual energy had achieved balance during the night and his Core was now addressing the inevitable deterioration that was the result of bed rest lasting many weeks. Skin and muscles were being repaired and he had every expectation that the Grandmaster would be safely awakened the following day.

Unfortunately, it was not quite the same for Wei WuXian. In the Jingshi there hovered an air of uncertainty, laced with a whisper of desperation.

Healer Zhang was unable to examine Wei WuXian very closely, due to the resentful energy. When awake, the resentful energy was managed by Wei WuXian and posed no threat. With him unconscious and the resentful energy reacting violently to any efforts to assess it, there was no way to accurately determine how Wei WuXian was doing nor how best to support his recovery. It was safer to leave close inspection alone and concentrate on the larger body. Healer Shui did his best on the purely physical aspects, but both diagnosis and prognosis remained undetermined.

Apprentice Healers reported every few hours and donated their spiritual energy to Wei WuXian, lifting his limp wrist with nervous fingers. There was never any response, no movement to pull away nor voluntary motion of the hand. Lan SiZhui made himself quietly helpful, sitting with his fathers, lending a hand to the apprentices - anything that was needful, that allowed him to remain in the Jingshi to watch over his Father Wei, and be close to his Father Lan. Lan WangJi had been firmly banished to the head of the bed, out of the way of the Healers as they came and went, seeing to their patient in the limited way they were able. Healer Shui had taken over the primary care and established himself as a firm presence at the desk, supervising and keeping records of every interaction and treatment. Attendants came to bathe the patient and refresh his robes. All the while Wei WuXian lay as one asleep, a profound pallor on his face, in sharp contrast to the dark circles under his eyes and his inky tresses, softly carded by Lan WangJi. Every hour Healer Shui would take the pulses of Wei WuXian and return to his note-making, a gentle headshake in response to Lan WangJi's unspoken inquiry.

Lan XiChen came by the Jingshi following the evening meal. By now the extra hands had left, and even Lan SiZhui had left for the night. Entering, Lan XiChen stood a moment to take in the changes. The quietly occupied air of Healer Shui, the unaccustomed silence and stillness of Wei WuXian. And Lan WangJi, guarding his husband where he lay, folded up on a seat above his head, restlessly and unceasingly combing his fingers through the long, dark hair, whispering pleas and reassurances into ears that did not appear to hear them.

"Xiong-di," said Lan XiChen.

Lan WangJi lifted tired eyes to his brother, before returning them to Wei WuXian.

"XiongZhang."

"How is WuXian this evening?"

"No change."

"Have you eaten?"

"Mn."

Others less familiar with Lan WangJi may have accepted this as agreement, however Lan XiChen understood his brother far better than anyone other than Wei WuXian. He knew Lan WangJi was neglecting his own needs to hover over his husband.

"Xiong-di, you must take care of yourself. If WuXian wakes up he will be upset if you aren't well."

"When." Lan WangJi's voice flared with anger and his eyes blazed as he looked at his brother, before returning to his vigil.