Chapter 11 - Dismay

Once Healer Zhang finished speaking Lan XiChen sat still for a long moment, eyes looking at his uncle lying incapacitated on his own bed. At last, he broke the silence with a sigh before rising to his feet.

"Thank you, Healer Zhang. I appreciate that you are in need of more information, and we could all use a little more understanding of what is happening before we can decide what to do. How long will my uncle be unconscious, and what should we do to manage things in the immediate future?"

"He will be out for probably about four hours. Given the unusual properties of his energy and the inability of his Core to assist him in achieving stability I am going to have to recommend a drastic step. Until more is known, and we conduct some research, I think a three-needle acupuncture to place him in stasis is required. This should last for at least three days and cause him no harm. Hopefully we will be able to devise a plan of treatment before those days are up. If not, we will consider taking more risky measures."

The Healer turned sad eyes towards the Grandmaster, finding the current situation hard to believe despite his own involvement.

"I hope we won't reach that point."

"Very well, Healer Zhang. Would you recommend removing my uncle to the Healing Hall or can we accommodate him in his home? What do you recommend?"

Healer Zhang thought a moment and gave a brisk nod. "I think staying in his home is the best idea. We cannot guarantee with any certainty when he will awake and being in an unfamiliar environment may stimulate negative emotions too strongly should his stasis wear off prematurely. If you wish, I will go to the Healing Hall now and gather some necessities. I could remain with him myself, but I recommend having a few apprentice Healers on hand to assist and so that I can leave to conduct research or help others, should there be need. I am, of course, subject to your command."

A pause, both men contemplating a variety of implications.

"When news of this breaks, as you know it invariably will, we must have a plan already in place to prevent panic."

Lan XiChen nodded quietly, his mind racing and heart pounding. Gods, what I wouldn't give for that cranky pants man to wake up well and be his usual irritable self this very minute! Standing taller, he nodded again.

"Very well, Healer Zhang. You make excellent points. Would you please make the arrangements for care you have mentioned? On your way to the Healing Hall, I would appreciate if you would request several disciples to assist me. I have messages to be written and delivered and time is of the essence."

Healer Zhang bowed and left, closing the door quietly behind him.

Lan XiChen sat down at the table, numbly and automatically pouring and drinking a cup of the now stone-cold tea. Uncle QiRen incapacitated with a rare and possibly deadly deviation, WangJi's surprise announcement... WangJi! He had to tell his brother what happened!

Lan XiChen quickly pulled out his uncle's writing materials and began dashing off notes, his rigorous training ensuring his elegant calligraphy revealed nothing of his distress. He quickly wrote a note giving the bare bones of events and scanned it over, trying to be sure it would convey the information without unnecessarily alarming his brother. He grunted. As if. Lan WangJi would be every bit as alarmed as he was himself, he had no doubt, but he also didn't hide things from Lan WangJi. Despite Lan WangJi's declaration yesterday Cloud Recesses was still his home, and he was needed!

He'd convene with them in the Main Hall to discuss the developments. Had it really been only overnight? A matter of mere hours and the entire world was different?

A knock came at the entry and Lan XiChen arose, carrying the notes. He quickly stepped outside, closing the door behind him to save his uncle what little face he still possessed after his titanic outburst earlier. Quickly he handed the notes for the elders to the disciples, requesting that they be delivered with urgency. Drawing Lan SiZhui slightly aside he handed him the note for Lan WangJi.