Chapter 14 - Wedding

As usual, Lan WangJi awoke promptly at 5:00 AM. The novelty of holding Wei WuXian remained something to be savoured. The two men lay tangled in each others' arms, hair twisted together, long limbs entwined as if even sleep couldn't separate them. Wei WuXian half covered Lan WangJi with his warm body as if trying to climb inside him while they slept. Lan WangJi looked at Wei WuXian's peaceful face tucked closely on his shoulder, and gold eyes warmed with affection as they noted the flush of sleep, the bruised lips with a small bite still in evidence. He had wanted and waited for this man for such a long, lonely time and the miracle of his presence was wonderfully new. A gift from the gods, he thought with contentment.

A long and winding path where Lan WangJi's teeth had nipped and nibbled trailed down the side of Wei WuXian's throat and across the top of his chest, from shoulder to shoulder. The marks bloomed with colourful evidence of their activities the day prior, overlaid on those fading from their first meeting. That quiet, sweet smile illuminated Lan WangJi's face as he looked at his love, brightening his face with an unaccustomed light.

Ever so gently, not wanting to wake Wei WuXian, Lan WangJi carefully untangled himself from the sleeping limbs, pulling his own hair as he tried to untangle their locks without waking the sleeping beauty in his bed. Wei WuXian murmured in his sleep, casting about and not settling until Lan WangJi thought to tuck his own pillow, still warm from use, into those questing arms. With a sigh and a smile, Wei WuXian curled into it, and continued to slumber. Lan WangJi gently tucked up the quilt around Wei WuXian and turned to his daily routine.

Lan WangJi straightened the room, had a good wash, donned robes neatly arrayed and settled to meditate.

Some time later, a brisk knock at the door, repeated with increasing agitation, tore him from his contemplation. With a swift glance at Wei WuXian, still lost in dreams, Lan WangJi stripped the talisman from the door and opened it to an apologetic innkeeper.

Bowing and bobbing, the innkeeper's words tumbled out, even as he held forth a light blue missive that Lan WangJi immediately recognized as his brother's personal stationery.

"I'm so sorry, HanGuang-Jun! So sorry! I don't know how it happened. My apologies. Please don't be angry. I didn't mean to forget, really, I didn't! It was so busy..." the innkeeper's voice trailed off as Lan WangJi took the note from his hand.

"A young man from Cloud Recesses came with this yesterday afternoon. He wanted to see you but couldn't wait and asked that it be delivered to you immediately on your return. I put it on the front desk, but it was accidentally covered up and then we got busy, and things were piled on top..." the innkeeper began babbling again in his distress.

"Mn."

Lan WangJi turned back into the room and closed the door, a relieved innkeeper, now alone in the hall, wiped sweat from his brow and thanked his fates that HanGuang-Jun had not seemed angry. He took his way downstairs, determined to make a particularly fine breakfast as an apology for his failure, already wondering if there were extra eggs to be had from his chickens today.

Inside the room, Lan WangJi glanced to be sure Wei WuXian was still asleep before moving to the table. Sitting once more, he looked at the note, considering what it could contain. Surely XiongZhang could not yet have spoken with Uncle QiRen and the elders? Lan WangJi knew no response could possibly be ready this quickly so what could it be about?

Slim fingers broke the seal and unfolded the note. Eyes hardened as they read the elegant calligraphy, with only a subtle flare of nostrils to betray any reaction to the news within. Folding the note again, Lan WangJi straightened himself and settled to his ruminations. Today promised to be a challenge and he had some thinking to do.