Chapter 15 - Return

At Cloud Recesses, the atmosphere was very different to the usual peaceful and deliberate way of life. The tension in the air was palpable and disciples moved about their tasks with greater urgency despite their walking pace. An undercurrent affected every inhabitant. The news had spread throughout the community and all minds were bent in one direction – how to help their Grandmaster, control this deviation, find a treatment.

Lan XiChen had wakened at 5:00 AM to a crushing sense of fear for his uncle. His usual meditation had done little to soothe his battered soul and was shortened considerably to allow him to settle into the Main Hall early enough to be on hand for the first arrivals, bearing questions he couldn't answer. He had spent far too much time reassuring elders pressing him for information no one knew, needing to feel some hope and stability with the shocking changes crashing into their ordered world.

Without exception, Lan XiChen had been gentle, reassuring as best he could, despite knowing his words were hollow. He encouraged everyone to sift their memory for any information, any at all, as there was no knowing what might aid Healer Zhang in treating the Grandmaster. He requested they write to anyone they could think of who had any information about any Qi deviation – healers, elders, storytellers, anyone – that could light an avenue of inquiry. And he sent them all away again, steadier and determined to do their part, while he remained in the Great Hall, slowly sinking under the weight of it all.

Lan XiChen closed his eyes momentarily and thought, Where is WangJi? Oh, Xiong-Di, why aren't you here? He allowed himself only a moment for respite and turned to the scrolls piled beside his table, awaiting the decision of the Lan Clan for action. He adjusted his writing materials and took another scroll from the stack, unrolling it and swiftly reading through. He worked steadily, making his way through issues that had to be addressed, disaster or not, choosing his words carefully, aware that the farmers and businessmen applying to Lan Clan needed to keep their face, even if the answer they received was not what they had hoped. Slim white fingers moved ceaselessly, following text or brushing a response in his elegant calligraphy. The ins and outs of this business had long since been ingrained and he continued swiftly, almost automatically, with his conscious mind, while a small part roamed freely in the background of his thoughts.

I wonder how Uncle is today. Healer Zhang said he'd tell me of any change, so the stasis is holding. I wonder how that's going? How long will he be safe? How long can they keep him in stasis? What if he breaks free? What will we do? I can't imagine fighting Uncle. How will the elders take to crossing swords with their Grandmaster and friend? We were all trained by Uncle. He taught us our sword technique. If he wakes and attacks, the outcome is far from certain. His mind rambled, even as he worked.

I wish WangJi were here. Why isn't he here? It can't be anger. The elders are angry, but they can't deny him his right to partner as he pleases. I wonder if WuXian refuses to return? I wouldn't blame him if he's unhappy at the idea of being here. Come to think of it, he looked as surprised as I felt at the Gate. Is WangJi cutting through his own way without consulting him? Maybe WuXian doesn't want to come to Cloud Recesses. That would actually make sense. Maybe he doesn't want to marry. No, that doesn't feel right, not after that scene back in the Temple and not after WangJi's words at the Gate. He shook his head, trying to silence his mind. I need WangJi right now. Where is he?

It was mid-morning by this point and a quiet disciple in white brought tea to refresh the Sect Leader. Sitting back, Lan XiChen looked up with thanks and saw Lan SiZhui, quietly waiting.

"Thank you for the tea, SiZhui."

"May I ask a question?"

"Of course." Lan XiChen looked at the teenager. Lan SiZhui was a quiet-natured youngster and as the adopted son of Lan WangJi, he must have been concerned over the news murmured and twisted throughout the community over the past many hours.