Chapter 12 - Debate

Back at Cloud Recesses, Lan XiChen had his hands full. He had entered the Main Hall, only to be accosted by the waiting elders demanding to know why they had been summoned, the reason for the urgency and absence of Lan QiRen. Making his way to the head of the Hall, Lan XiChen turned. He cast his eyes over the uneasy elders and raised his hands.

"Please be seated. An emergent situation has developed, and we must work together to resolve the issues. Please sit down and I will explain everything, only wait for the end as there is much we will need to discuss."

The elders took their seats, junior disciples swiftly moving to ensure every senior had tea.

"From last night through this morning there have been some..." Lan XiChen paused a moment, unsure how to describe events so as not to alarm the waiting elders. "...some unusual developments and as a Clan we will need to carefully address the issues."

There was a soft stir as his words were absorbed by the waiting men, who shifted uncertainly where they sat and wondered what on earth was going on. Despite the Rule forbidding speaking behind another's back, many had heard speculation regarding events at the Gate the prior evening and most had heard or been informed how the Grandmaster ranted in his quarters this morning.

"We have two situations in hand. One is more personal and legal, social if you will, while the other is largely medical, spiritually medical in fact. Is there a preference in how you would choose to address these issues? Either way, I must ask you to remain until we reach a decision on future actions."

The elders murmured, a hushed conversation in the large room.

"Please elders, we have decisions to make, and time is of the essence. One matter is personal and likely to take less time, although still an issue to be discussed. The other involves the wellbeing of our Grandmaster and an unprecedented situation that may take some time to determine the best use of our efforts - and even what those efforts should be. Shall we proceed with the long or the short?"

A few more moments of discussion, small pockets of elders offering opinions, and one of the senior elders rose to his feet. The murmuring died away as he turned to face Lan XiChen and spoke.

"Sect Leader, we request that you tell us the smaller matter first, so that it may be cleared away and the larger properly addressed."

With a bow to Lan XiChen and another to the assembly, he took his seat once more.

Lan XiChen stood and stepped out to the centre of the hall.

"I am sure many of you know that my brother presented himself at the Gate yesterday evening. What you may or may not realize is that he made certain facts known to me and then took his leave. He has not entered Cloud Recesses and is not here at this time. He..." a deep breath for courage "... he has declared he will not return unless and until he does so with Wei WuXian."

The Lan equivalent of a roar rose from the congregation. In cresting waves of volume, voices trained to restraint broke their bonds and insisted on being heard.

"Impossible!"

"The nerve!"

"The YiLing Laozu has cast a spell on HanGuang-Ju!"

"Evil, he's evil that one..."

Voices burbled in anger and dismay, tangling together to create an unprecedented sound that had younger disciples peeking through windows and doors, trying to hear what was under discussion, while those who were in the room to assist with tea or other needs, pressed themselves further back against the walls, trying to become invisible.

Lan XiChen waited briefly, until the worst of the outburst began to ease slightly and raised his hands for silence once more. It took a few moments, but gradually the elders settled down, uncomfortable shifting and reddened faces the only signs of their inward agitation.