Chapter 42 - Consideration

Lan XiChen met with Lan WangJi and Wei WuXian in the Jingshi, bringing the midday meal with him.

"It is time to eat, and I thought WuXian should rest," he explained to Lan WangJi on his arrival, with servants bearing trays behind him.

"Thank you, XiongZhang," said Lan WangJi, his heart warmed by the kindness. He appreciated his elder brother's care for Wei WuXian's wellbeing. Lan WangJi had hoped but not expected a genuine welcome for his choice of partner. Personal considerations such as the gifting of the jade Cloud Recesses access token and this thoughtful provision of the midday meal were treasured close in his heart.

Lan WangJi ushered his brother into the Jingshi and supervised the placing of the dishes for the meal, arranging for the trays to be collected from the porch afterward. Carefully he gathered Wei WuXian from where he rested on their bed and brought him to the table.

Wei WuXian looked a bit sheepish at the pampering, but in truth he was worn out and could not have walked the few steps to the table under his own power.

"Are you alright, WuXian?" asked Lan XiChen, concerned with the pallor and fatigue on the usually animated face before him.

"I'm fine..." started Wei WuXian, only to break off when his husband thumped his tea cup before him, rather more forcefully than required.

"Alright, my love, alright." Wei WuXian sighed and started again. "I'm mostly alright – better my love?" He turned to give a fond if exasperated look to Lan WangJi, before returning his attention to Lan XiChen and continuing.

"I've not slept well lately and managing the resentful energy was a bit taxing. The Yin Iron exerted a lot more influence on it than what I had anticipated. I had to call up a tune to reinforce my will, but it's alright. I was able to clear a large amount of the resentful energy and hopefully the stasis will be more solid for a time. I really am alright, but I'm also worn out. I'm fine," he repeated. "Just tired."

"Meal first," stated Lan WangJi. Looking at Wei WuXian's pale features, Lan XiChen agreed.

"Yes. It was a lot to take in, everything at the Cold Cavern. Perhaps we can collect our thoughts and discuss your findings after we eat?" he asked, turning to Wei WuXian.

A simple nod was all the strength Wei WuXian could spare for the moment, and so the men sat quietly as they ate their meal. The two Jades exchanged looks with each other as they watched Wei WuXian struggle to manage more than a few bites. Even the chili oil did little to help, with chopsticks repeatedly returning to his bowl still carrying their burden of food untouched. His hands shook as he raised his tea and he slumped to one side, supported by his husband's strong frame, head resting on one broad shoulder. Wei WuXian's posture was lax and untidy at the best of times but today it seemed he was barely able to sit erect under his own power. Eventually the meal concluded, the dishes were returned to trays placed out on the porch for collection, and the men sat together with tea.

"What did you find?" asked Lan XiChen. "Do you think it's Yin Iron?"

Wei WuXian nodded, clouds gathering in his expressive eyes.

"It's definitely Yin Iron," he replied. "The Grandmaster has an accumulation of it right above his lower dantian level. It's attracted resentful energy, which is wrapping itself around his Core and trapping his Qi. Even the natural energy of his own lifeforce within his pulse is being blocked off from use. Frankly, I'm impressed that Healer Zhang managed to get him into stasis at all, let alone maintain it so long. There is so much Yin energy, and almost no Yang to balance it."

The men sat quietly for a time, absorbing the news, as each chased their own thoughts. Finally, Wei WuXian drew a deep breath and sat up straighter.

"So," Wei WuXian started. "I drew away as much resentful energy as I could on my own in the Cold Cavern. It's only a temporary help for things, though. The Yin Iron is constantly calling forth more resentful energy and the level within your uncle is sure to rise again. What I was able to do was just a little bit of help. Just for now."