Chapter 10 - Promise

Lan WangJi could not get enough of the sheer delight Wei WuXian seemed to find or bring to every moment of the day. A morning wake up call Lan WangJi could not shake from his mind had been just the beginning. Long hours spent kissing and fondling, connecting and reconnecting on a primal level followed until the they could no longer ignore rumbling bellies, which drove them to find something to eat.

The innkeeper was delighted to be told the men would remain for a time and so he had happily offered to prepare a meal. When requested, he was more than pleased to provide it in a basket the two men carried with them, away from the bustle of Gusu, toward the countryside. Walking together was so delightful, every familiar sight seemed brand new to Lan WangJi.

Well known routes seemed to promise new possibilities and Lan WangJi instinctively guided Wei WuXian towards a wide stream he knew would be rushing and lovely on this Spring day. Kisses and touches lent a new spice to old paths and before they knew it, they had arrived. Wei WuXian was as pleased as Lan WangJi had hoped, eyes bright and sparkling like the water dancing in sunlight before them.

Wei WuXian stood beside the stream, looked across to the far banks and considered.

"You know, I think we could cross this fairly well, my love, and see? I'm pretty sure that is a blossoming apple tree just barely in sight... would you like to picnic there or here?"

Lan WangJi shifted his gaze from his beloved to where he indicated and considered.

"Mn. Rocks here. Meadow there. No question."

With that minimalist response, Lan WangJi swooped and swung a delighted Wei WuXian up in his strong arms. Peels of laughter rang out as the two men clung together, Wei WuXian clutching the picnic in his arms, while Lan WangJi held the greater treasure in his own. Moving with care and deliberation he made his way across the water, careful not to drop his precious burden, kicking and laughing, head back, abandoned to high spirits.

Sure enough, it was an apple tree, splendid in bloom with the meadow beside it already green and lush with wildflowers in abundance. The two men set up their picnic just underneath the apple tree and out of the direct Spring sun, warming the earth around them. The food was enjoyed with gusto, appetites sharpened by fresh air and extensive morning exercise in the privacy of their room at the inn.

Wei WuXian made copious use of the chili sauce so thoughtfully provided by the innkeeper, while Lan WangJi had his satisfaction in watching Wei WuXian's obvious enjoyment of his fiery food. He could not keep his eyes from watching his love, scooping his chopsticks repeatedly through bright red mysteries, uttering moans and groans of appreciation when a particularly choice morsel was discovered.

The sparkling silver eyes, ruby lips with a dot of chili sauce sitting just atop that single, perfect mole, the vocal appreciation of the food... it was almost too much for the cool Jade, and he controlled himself with effort.

At last, the picnic was complete, dishes returned to the basket and the two men sat side by side once more. Turning to look at his companion through thick, dark lashes, silver mischief sparkled and Lan WangJi lost it. He turned to Wei WuXian and covered that tempting little mole with his mouth, tongue lashing and retreating from that sharp chili sauce, then returning to be soothed in that mouth he adored. He nipped the bottom lip that had dared try to evade and drew Wei WuXian into his arms as they lay together in the tall, soft grass.

"Wei Ying?"

A soft question escaped Lan WangJi.

"Yes, Lan Zhan?"

"Are you still... will you..." a pause while Lan WangJi fought his silence for words. "Can you control it? Really?" The quiet voice brought forward the elephant in the room.