Chapter 30 - Vanity

After the departure of Zhiyou XinLoa, the room was silent  while the men tried to work through the implications of someone having deliberately sent the pellets to Lan QiRen, harbouring resentful energy.

"Well, it looks like we have a bit more information to work with," began Wei WuXian. "We now know that whatever these are or how they work, they were definitely sent directly to Lan QiRen, specifically, so we can safely assume he was deliberately targeted."

'But what are these?" asked Lan XiChen. "How is there resentful energy within them? What are they meant for? How do they work?"

Wei WuXian raised an eyebrow at Lan XiChen. "You're starting to sound like me, XiChen-ge. Who? How? What?" A small smile crossed his face and vanished as he gently mocked his brother-in-law. "As for your questions, I have no idea where these come from, or how they were made or work, but I can start by figuring out what they are, if that's alright with you? I've worked with resentful energy more than anyone alive, no matter how many times..." an awkward pause. I really need to think before putting my foot in my mouth, he reminded himself with an internal groan at his poor choice of words.

"Lan Zhan, is it alright if I take these back to the Jingshi to work on? I can take a closer look at them and try to figure out what they are made of and how they work. Maybe that will give us something to discover who sent them, and possibly how to help your uncle, too."

"Mn," agreed Lan WangJi.

"I think that is a good idea," said Lan XiChen. "Uncle was always so diligent about everything and guided and trained us to within an inch of our lives. Won't it be sad if he was overcome by his own vanity? We know how he loves his beard, it's infamous really, and your mother, WuXian, made it abundantly clear that this is Uncle QiRen's weak spot when she shaved him in his sleep."

All three men had a mental picture of a mischievous female cultivator, bearing a strong resemblance to Wei WuXian, surreptitiously shaving the intimidating Grandmaster as he slept. Their expressions showed very different responses, however. Lan XiChen was frankly awed by the courage and foolhardiness of the act, never publicly mentioned since its shocking occurrence. Wei WuXian bore a broad grin, thinking perhaps he had more of his mother in him than he could ever have known. Lan WangJi's expression would have passed for his usual calm perfection, except for the slight crease at the corner of his eyes denoting inner mirth.

"Well, we know what to work on next," said Lan XiChen, breaking the moment of reverie. "WuXian, unless Wang Xiu finds something of note in the research, would you please concentrate on investigating these pellets for now?"

"Of course," replied Wei WuXian. "I'll let you know when I have anything to share, yeah?"

"Good," agreed Lan XiChen, and the meeting broke up. Lan XiChen returned to his endless rounds of Clan business, while Lan WangJi and Wei WuXian made their way back to the Jingshi, carrying the envelope of pellets with them.

When they arrived at the Jingshi, Wei WuXian placed the envelope of pellets on Lan WangJi's desk and turned to his husband.

"I'm sorry, Lan Zhan, but I think I'll need to kick you off of your own desk to have a place to work on this."

"No." The short answer surprised Wei WuXian, Lan WangJi had never denied him anything, never refused him so shortly. Before he could ask what Lan WangJi meant, his husband had gone straight to the back wall of the Jingshi, opposite the entrance, and removed a large, decorative screen. Hidden behind was a door, which led to a small, empty room.

"What's this?" asked Wei WuXian, peering through the doorway. "You have some interesting surprises, husband of mine."

"Room. Not required until now," answered Lan WangJi. "Wei Ying may use."