Chapter 18 - Married

Leaving the rabbit meadow behind, Wei WuXian and Lan SiZhui made their way back to the central campus of Cloud Recesses. Lan SiZhui excused himself and Wei WuXian gave him a quick hug before waving the blushing boy off, then continued to the Main Hall.

The Main Hall was still quite busy, even as the day was nearing time for the evening meal. Looking through the doorway, Wei WuXian realized that Lan WangJi was surrounded by people seeking his attention. With a small sigh, he turned and left.

Unsure what to do with himself, Wei WuXian returned to the Jingshi. He sat on the edge of the bed and looked about. Everything looked very much as it had years earlier. There were a few more scrolls on the shelves, and a delicate ink drawing of a peony graced one wall, but Lan WangJi's habitual need for order had kept things from accumulating and it was a lovely place.

Wei WuXian knew it would be a good hour until the evening meal and was at a loss with what to do with himself until then. Lan WangJi would probably be busy until just before the meal and Wei WuXian didn't feel comfortable wandering the grounds on his own just yet. Those old fuddy-duddies around here might kill me with the daggers in their eyes if I go prowling about, he thought. Better stay inside for now, I guess. Today had really been something else. He lay back on the bed, hands behind his head to consider things. Scary news, getting married, facing the Lan Clan, hearing of a Qi deviation in progress, the most precious and meaningful wedding gift... he was tired just thinking about it all. Cold Cavern, new title, felt good to be called Father... Wei WuXian drifted away into a doze.

An hour later Lan WangJi finally finished with the last of his work shortly before the evening meal. He put away his writing materials and stood up. Leaving the Main Hall, he stopped a moment to think where to find Wei WuXian. He had gone to help Lan XiChen earlier, but Lan XiChen had been back for an hour or more already, so where was Wei WuXian? He'd try the Jingshi first.

Opening the door to the Jingshi, Lan WangJi's eyes were immediately drawn to the black and scarlet heap lying messily on the bed. That was new. With a little lift to his heart, Lan WangJi shut the door and walked quietly over to see. Curled comfortably atop the bed he found his new husband, face flushed in sleep, robes in disarray, pulled away from his throat, and hair ribbon awry. Lan WangJi sat carefully on the edge of the bed, indulging himself in admiring his love. His eyes travelled to the opened collar of the robes and the throat and chest laid bare. An irregular pattern of colours, blooming bright or fading to yellow, liberally ornamented Wei WuXian's skin. Lan WangJi made a mental note to be more careful to mark his husband where robes would cover the evidence of their affection. He reached out and took the scarlet ribbon in his hand, running it through his fingers. Such a small thing, but one just like it had been a lifeline for himself and SiZhui both, when the boy was still little A-Yuan. And those perfect ruby lips just made for kissing...

Lan WangJi obliged and set his own lips upon them. Gently, lingeringly, he kissed his lover. A moment or two and he was kissed back. The red lips awakened and responded with a soft, clinging need. Warm hands came up and held Lan WangJi's face, the better to direct the kisses and Lan WangJi lost himself to the sweetness.

The sound of a tap at the door, immediately followed by entry returned Lan WangJi to his surroundings and he sat up quickly to see his brother.

"Aiya, Lan Zhan, I love this wake-up call, but we know you can do better. Come and try a little harder, yeah? said Wei WuXian, his voice soft and heavy with sleep and desire.

Lan XiChen's eyes rose to the ceiling, anywhere but near the two on the bed.

"It's time for the evening meal, Brother, and I thought it would be nice if we brought Wei WuXian to the Dining Hall together," he managed to blurt.