𝒊. one

༺❦༻

❝ you're all DRUNK in my
kitchen, curled in the fetal
position, too busy playing the
VICTIM !

memories, conan gray.

IT WAS THE year 1977 and jaelin covey was now a freshman at high school. she woke up like any other day, getting ready for school.

she put on a simple black tank top with a light grey flannel tied in a knot at the front. she then put on her cuffed jeans and converse and headed out of her room.

as soon as she did, a wave of alcohol hit her senses and she immediately regretted walking out of her lavender scented room. there was a reason scented candles were all over her room.

she grimaced at the smell and walked towards the conjoined kitchen and living room. from there she found empty bottles scattered around and the tv on a random channel on mute.

she sighed and retrieved one of her scented candles from her room and instantly lit it up, placing it on the counter. she then tidied as much as she could and turned off the tv.

she grabbed a blanket and pillow from her mother's room and went to her. she was laying on the floor deep asleep with a sippy cup filled with wine a little ways next to her.

how she got a sippy cup baffled the young girl, but nonetheless she emptied it out in the sink and put the blanket over her and slid the pillow under her head.

no matter how much she despises her mother's actions, she always loves her in the end. there were equal pros and cons to her family life, so she didn't know wether to be grateful, or absolutely curse it.

she felt bad if she cursed it, knowing all the loving things her mother did from time to time. also thinking she'd be a spoilt little brat and others had it way worse.

but she also didn't mind hating it- considering all the drunk, late night verbal abuse and rarely physically abuse.

after tending to her mother, she ate some cereal and checked the time: 7: 50. school starts at 8:30, so she had roughly half an hour.

jaelin was always an early bird. it was like her body knew exactly when it was morning. sometimes she hated it, and the other times she was eternally grateful. a gift and a curse.

after breakfast, she realised the smell of alcohol was mostly gone and filled with a vanilla scent. she smiled and blew out the candle, not wanting to come back to a burnt down house.

she swiftly put on some slippers and walked outside to her front porch, checking the time: 7:58. she heard the sounds of tires and looked up to see a familiar dirty blond.

'just in time.'

the boy finally got up to her house. when he did he gave her a smile and threw her the paper, to which she caught easily like every other day.

"thanks paperboy," she chuckled, "you too, rover." she petted the dog quickly before the two had to go past.

"you're welcome, aylin." he gave her a smile before turning back around; him and his dog happily going down the neighbourhood giving out news papers.