𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒊. thirty-one

༺❦༻

❝ we have the ANSWER to
all your fears, it's short, it's
simple, it's CRYSTAL clear !

o children, nick cave &
the bad seeds.

A PHONE RINGING suddenly brought finney out of his thoughts. he turned around and gazed at the phone, now extremely confused.

jaelin saw him look at the phone with a puzzle look. she looked between him and the device before seeing him abruptly stand up and face the phone, backing away from it.

"finn? what is it?" she asked, standing up and standing to the side of him. he was breathing heavily as his eyes never left the phone.

jaelin put a hand on his shoulder and shook him, "finn, what's going on?"

he looked at her with furrowed brows, "you can't hear it?"

am i going crazy? he questioned himself.

"hear what? the phone?" she looked at the device and then back at him, "are you sure you're okay..?"

he didn't answer but instead walked towards the ringing phone. jaelin followed him but stood to the side, watching him pick up the receiver and put it to his ear.

finney kept his eyes on the wall whilst jaelin focused on him, having no idea why he picked up the broken phone.

he couldn't be hallucinating..right? if anything, i expected me to start hallucinating first.

"hello..?" finney spoke into the phone. when no one answered, he was about to put it back. however, suddenly he could hear a very faint static noise emit from the phone.

he brought it back up to his ear, "hello?"

there was no answer. he sighed and hanged it up. he turned to jaelin with a frown as she looked at him with raised brows.

"what was that about? what's going on, finn?" she asked, scanning his face to get some sort of hint.

he shook his head, "i..i thought i heard the phone ringing. actually, no. the phone did ring. i don't know how but it did. i swear i'm not crazy aylin."

jaelin looked straight into his eyes and sighed, "i believe you finn. just..tell me if you hear it again, okay? you got me freaked out right then."

he immediately relaxed, knowing jaelin believed him and didn't call him crazy. he nodded, "yeah, i will."

FINNEY AND JAELIN slept lightly for another hour or so after that. neither of them were fully asleep, but they weren't fully awake either.

the sound of creeks made the two teens peek their eyes open. finney was yet again met with the black phone on the wall. it was like it was taunting him.

"stop it." he whispered.

"stop what?" a voice replied unexpectedly. both jaelin and finney jumped in surprise. jaelin pushed herself so she was next to finney on the mattress, both trying to shuffle away from him.