Chapter. 11

"I'm going Leo."

I stated dryly. Probably came out harsher than I meant for it too, but I no longer cared. I could feel the blood pushing at my temples. The fact I couldn't feel Nero was shocking, and also kinda worrisome, his choice to stay away right when Leo decided to come back seemed a little to coincidental.

"No, you're not."

His tone matched mine in every way. His face held no emotion, his masking was better than my fathers, his sheer dominance made me want to cower further in the couch, if that was possible I probably would, I swallowed back the lump in my throat, I was trapped, even if I wanted to get up and storm to my room and admit defeat, I couldn't move in the slightest with him looming over me as he was.

"I'm not doing this with you right now Leo. Maybe when I get back, like I plan on with my father we can have this conversation. I need my freedom, space. Like the forced space you pushed on me. Shoes on the other foot."

I kept his eye contact, my mouth grew dry, proud that I could keep up with his will but that didn't stop the pull to curl into him, I shook off the nerves and held my ground. My thoughts kept going back to wishing Nero was here, this is why he wanted to keep his distance, I wasn't just becoming reliant on him for his company, I was becoming reliant on him for his power to control heavy situations.

"I'm not saying it again Mika."

His eyes still shined gold, Of course, Malakai was still listening. Why wouldn't he be? Still looking up at him I sighed breaking the long eye contact, looking down to my hands, ready to give up, he'd physically stop me if it came to it.

"A mate bond is something we cannot control, something we can't challenge, so accept it. Normally, the alpha is mate bonded to the strongest heir of the closest family in the pack, or another. But sometimes.... it's not that simple, as my family isn't...that simple. We do not choose who we are bonded to, and we do not question our moon goddess, we tested her once, and we are still paying that price."

He paused, he almost sounded guilty that we were fated, the thought hurt my heart, I looked up, he was taking in my apprehensiveness. He knew how crazy this should sound to me, if it wasn't for the fact I knew the truth, if I didn't have Nero, I would think he was completely nuts. I didn't want to be stuck here forever, as tempting as it felt being around him. How hard it was for him to be gone. I still craved travel, freedom, a life outside these woods.

"And....my descended coven had been paying that same price."

The words slipped my lips, my skin chilled, but only enough to make me aware of Nero's presence. I focused him to the back of my mind, somehow it worked, his cold left completely. Not talking about this wasn't good for anyone. Leo nodded, he relaxed, just a bit as he swayed from foot to foot.

"That demon has a loudmouth."

Leo bright smiled knowingly, I nodded my head leaning forward, lifting myself to my knees to be closer to his face. Pressing my forehead to his, giving him the affection, he gave me. Moments like this were small with him, it made me think about what it would be like if I would fully give into this bond. His warmth matched Nero's cold, calming the anger he forced me to face.

"Well, he wouldn't have had the time to be so loose lipped if you didn't stay away."

He smirked and nodded his head, giving me that, he seemed a little relieved he didn't have to be the one to tell me about his pack's history. That still didn't explain why we were mated, I'm descended from those who tried to kill his kind completely, and he's descended from the evilest pack to ever exist.

"If I didn't stay away, I wouldn't have been any better than your father."

He pulled back, I sat back down watching him, he took the seat next to me, and I was on top of his lap faster than I could move. he pulled me into his big arms, lacing them around me, he grabbed my hands in his, rubbing his thumbs over my knuckles. He paused for a moment, his nose moving through my hair until I could feel it pressed to my nape.