Chapter 23

Sasuke

I stepped to chase after her but a glimpse of the pendant hanging from her ankle stopped me. She really kept it after all this time and still has enough faith to wear it. Granit, it is not around her neck, but that would be too obvious to everyone around. She decided to keep what we had a secret and I can't blame her. That's what I expected her to do anyway. Seeing my family symbol on her pale skin brought a smile to my blank face.

I sigh at my stupidity. I should have gone over every possible outcome. I was expecting her to have a big belly and waiting for my arrival, but it was quite the opposite. I thought I just left her pregnant, yet it was worse. I left her with the loss of my child.

I lean against the nearest tree, then slide down it. I was so excited to see her carrying my baby. Starting a family with the love of my life would have been a dream come true. The baby was something positive to look forward to. I wipe the tear that escaped my eye. How do I tell her I only came back because I heard she was pregnant. I thought it would be better this way. I thought she would thrive without me. I was only holding her back from her full potential. I thought she wouldn't need me, but maybe I'm a coward.

After hearing everything I put her through these past months, I can't forgive myself. However, I can't leave her again. I won't break my promise again. Seeing her has done more to my body then I care to admit. I can't let her marry Naruto. Watching her embrace him made me furious. Her smile, touches, kisses all belong to me. Over my dead body will I give that up to Naruto.

It was getting late and all this thinking made me exhausted. I made my way to the only bar in town. My father and his buddies would go there all the time after their long shifts at the police station. Now I am old enough to go there myself.

Before reaching the entrance, I was stopped by a familiar voice having an interesting conversation by an open window at the bar. I stood next to the window listening intently. "She doesn't smile as bright, her cheeks aren't rosy, she doesn't blush or stutter around me. She isn't even shy anymore!" I smirk at Naruto's comment. She was blushing and stuttering for me earlier today. I deserve a pat on the back.

"Isn't it good she is becoming more comfortable around you?" questioned Shikamaru.

"I don't know man. She hasn't been the same since she woke up from that coma. She won't talk to anyone about what happened during the months of her disappearance." he took a big gulp of his sake and continued. "And she has some weird vendetta against Sasuke."

"What do you mean?" questioned the Nara.

"When he came back to the village. She appeared in full battle stance ready to take him down. It was the oddest thing. Yet, when we left to go look for her before we found her, Kiba smelled Sasuke on her torn clothes. I think something happened between them." No matter how stupid I think the dope is, he surprises me every time.

"Well he is a threat to the village. She probably was trying to protect you."

"Yeah, that makes sense. You are smart Shika!" Nevermind, he is still stupid. Naruto finished his cup and rose from his seat. "I'm off to find my girl. Wish me luck." he screamed to the whole bar before rushing out the door. I frown as I watch him leave the bar. His girl my ass.

I walk into the bar and take Naruto's seat. "Didn't expect to see the great Uchiha here." the Nara exclaimed.

"Since when do you drink?" I ask.

"After Asuma, I started smoking. After the war, I picked up another bad habit." Nara lifted his glass of whiskey to his lips. Even the smartest have to cope. "I could ask you the same thing."

"Hm." I can't tell him why I am drinking. I wave down the bartender and ask for sake and sparkling juice.

Nara gets up and shuts the window next to us. "So how long were you standing there?" I almost choke on my drink. He is too smart for his own good. "Naruto was too drunk to notice, but I have been doing this for a while." He takes another sip of his warm whiskey. "I'm guessing Hinata's 'weird vendetta' has nothing to do with protecting Naruto."