Chapter 28

Sasuke

"I have come to ask for Hinata's hand in marriage." His eyebrows raised as I spoke.

"I do apologize. You are quite late on that request. Hinata has been betrothed to another."

"I am aware. Yet, do you honestly think Naruto is the best for her?" I say confidently. His eyebrows droop forcefully, he folds his hands on his desk, and leans toward me.

"Are you questioning my judgment?"

"If you think Naruto truly loves your daughter, then yes." he smirks

"Naruto is a great shinobi, hero of the leaf village, hero of the shinobi world, the next Hokage, and my daughter's life long love." He picks up the tea in front of him, takes a sip, and leans back in his chair. "Uchiha Sasuke. The rogue ninja, Akatski alumni, and serial killer."

"Hn"

"I do not know you Sasuke, all I have named is you and Naruto's reputation. How can Uchiha Sasuke, with all that trauma and rage, care for my delicate daughter?" I knew this man was challenging, but I did not expect this.

"Sama. I love your daughter. I will never let my hurt or anger touch her. I don't have those feelings when I am with her. I will protect her from myself and everything that tries to hurt her." I am shocked as he laughs at my statement. I meant every word.

"Protect her?" he laughs more "Let me ask you something." he suddenly becomes serious. "The best way to protect her from you, would be for you to vanish from her life, right? Better yet, why was my daughter brought to leaf village unconscious? Bruises and wounds scattered across her body? Her eyes just made it to 73%" he made sure to keep eye contact. I begin to feel small under his gaze. "You couldn't protect her in the short amount of time you had her. How am I to trust you will do so for the rest of her life?" I was stunned by all he knew. I didn't know what to say. I did not expect the conversation would go this way.

"You don't have an answer? My daughter has a thing for knuckleheads" he scoffs. "I might not be a great father, but I have confidence in my competence as the Head of my clan. Therefore, I know what happens with all my members." he stood and made his way to a table in the corner of the room. He poured himself some tea, then asked. "Would you like some?"

"No"

"At least you have an answer for something." He sits down and starts looking over papers on his desk. I could tell he thought this conversation was over. Yet, I have much more to say about the future women I marry.

"I am nothing like that dope. I would have never ignored Hinata's feelings for years and blamed it on ignorance. Leaving her to wonder if I will ever return those feelings. There was a time I thought the same thing." I sigh. "I thought Naruto was the best thing for her. He is honorable, loving, and a hero. He naturally cares for the well-being of all people. I thought she would be better off without me." I look to my feet and let out a small giggle. "Ever since I came back, she has proven me wrong. She has challenged and understood me more than anyone I know. Even more than Naruto. She deserves better than him. She deserves someone that looks at her like an angel, not a second place trophy. Someone who is only naturally loving to her. She deserves someone who only has eyes for her." I look back at him with fire in my gaze. "I have made mistakes with Hinata, but I have made mistakes all my life. They teach me the best lessons. My most recent lesson was to first choose love, hold on to it, and protect it." Now I understand why Itachi did it. "I love your daughter Hiashi, and I will keep fighting, whether I have your blessing or not."

"Well done Uchiha-san" my eyes widened at his words. Words I never received from my own father. "My daughter shall marry whoever she chooses. I have one request."