Chapter 17

Sasuke

I curse myself as I sprint to our spot. Once the shadow clone came bursting through the door, my stomach dropped. I knew something was wrong. We were supposed to be together when the threat arrived. We don't know what power they possess or how many there are. Hinata is fighting alone. She could be dead within seconds.

I jumped to the trees and began hopping from branch to branch. I pray all the training will pay off. Although Hinata has been off her game lately. She keeps having stomach pains and food poisoning. I told her to stop shopping the clearance food aisle.

My surroundings become a green blur as I try not to think of the worst case scenario. These couple of months with her have been more fulfilling than I ever imagined. I never thought I could be so happy, so calm, so protective over someone who wasn't blood. Everything about her is a breath of fresh air. She brought light and happiness to my dark grim life in her darkest times. This is how I repay her. Not being there for her when she needs me the most.

I push even harder and run even faster. I know where they are. She only knows three places around here: the cottage, the town, and our spot by the lake. She had to lead him there.

I stop on a branch with a wide view of the lake. I spot Hina. She was next to our tree looking around frantically in her gentle first stance. I activated my sharingan to scan the area. There was no one other than Hinata. She was alone yet she looked so scared. I appear next to her grabbing her shoulder to face me. "Hina, are you o..." I couldn't finish as I was pushed against the tree from Hinata's blow to my shoulder.

"SASUKE!" She yelled out of relief as her eyes deactivated and lit up so see me. "Oh Fuck Sasuke!" She screams again, this time out of worry as she realizes what she just did. I can't feel my left arm. "I'm sorry" I wrap my arm around her waist.

"It's okay"

"I didn't sense you around. I thought you were Toneri."

"Toneri? So that's his name?"

"Yes. He is very pale and can float. I don't know his power. He can disappear and reappear, and dodge quick attacks with his eyes closed." Sounds promising.

Hinata activated her byakugan standing between me and the open lake. She was guarding me as if I was a wounded baby deer. I stood to my feet and walked next to her. "Any weaknesses?"

"None that I know of. I guess that he wants to keep me alive."

"Why?"

"Byakugan princess." There he was. Pale and smiling. I step in front of Hinata pushing her slightly behind me with my right arm. "Uchiha Sasuke," he says, recognizing me. "One of the last three Uchihas alive." He knows about Izumi and Isao. "I hope you will not be a bother in me taking Hinata."

"Taking Hinata?" He is not here for us, just her? He must be out of his mind if he thinks he will lay a finger on her.

"She is my bride to be." Bride?? He tilts his head to peak at Hinata behind me and cracks her a soft smile.

"I don't know who the fuck you think you are. And I honestly don't care, but you are not taking her." I activate my sharingan as I take my Katana out of my belt. "Do you have a death wish?" I ask tilting my head as the corners of my mouth curve upward into the same smile he gave Hinata.

"I come in peace. I mean you both no harm. I rather not fight."

"If you mean us no harm, why have us locked in a cell for months?" I could care less. I have to stall him. I need my arm to regain feeling right about now. One useless arm means no hand signs.