Chapter 9

Chapter 9

You Deserve

"Is he looking our way?" Nie-xiong asks warily.

Jiang Cheng could see Lan Wangji sitting alone by the window in the Lan Library Pavilion through the light-concealing Yulan Magnolia branches.

He's staring.

Very obviously.

Nie-xiong rested the mount of his folding fan on his chin, "He shouldn't be... we weren't that loud..."

"So, what's with that look in his eyes?" Jin Zixuan added to Nie-xiong's words, crossing his arms.

Lan Qiren is out, devoting all of his energy to the Waterborne Abyss issue at Caiyi Town. For this reason, his lectures became increasingly brief --

"Ah, Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying uttered passionately, waving at the seated white figure, who, of course, downright ignored her.

He is unworthy of Wei Ying.

"..."

She's too good for him.

-- Meaning, Wei Ying was constantly taking the others out for a mountain romp.

"To answer Peacock's question," She turns herself from peering up the window to her classmates, "he's probably thinking about how to find fault in us."

"Wrong." Jiang Cheng interrupted, tone nonchalant. "Not 'us', it's 'you'." He emphasized, "The only one he's watching is you."

When Jiang Cheng caught her grinning like an idiot, he regretted his words.

She puts her palms on her cheeks, swooning: "Heh, Lan Zhan... you just wait--"

Jiang Cheng cut her off in spite of himself, "He's too dull."

Wei Ying, "..."

She raised a brow.

Jiang Cheng adds, "He's boring."

Her thin brow raised even more.

He snorted, expressing his derision towards the apathetic person. "I still can't believe you're into him."

Wei Ying opens her lips to answer, but A-Jie was quicker.

She remarked, "Well, opposites attract," she clasped her hands, "right, Yingying?"

Jiang Cheng, "..."

A-Jie wholeheartedly supports Wei Ying on her love life.

In contrast, Jiang Cheng...

Hates the thought of her liking someone who does not like her back.

He hates the fact that, Lan Wangji dismisses her efforts as 'insignificant'.

Jiang Cheng clenched his fists.

He expresses his dissatisfaction with the situation unequivocally.

His friends were aware.

Wei Ying as well.

But she's so persistent still, 'You don't like him? Guess what? I like him so much!'

The edges of Wei Ying's mouth curled up, the smile even reaching her eyes. "Yes, Shijie! You really understand me!" She linked her arm to hers before whipping her head at Jiang Cheng, "You're wrong, Shidi," she shook her head to indicate: "it's because a grown, living person can be incredibly boring that he's super interesting!"

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes.

"Interesting, my ass." He muttered, making it audible only for Wei Ying, who ignored the satirical expression.