Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Demon Or A Heretic

Bleak. Cold. Gloomy.

Jiang Cheng felt shivers crawl up his spine as the darkness enveloped him. It was the most piercing darkness he had ever seen -- not simply the darkness that resulted from the absence of light, but something far more menacing.

The Burial Mounds.

There was nothing welcoming about that damn place. The darkness was fucking surreal, and it smelled strongly of evil.

Black shadows performed their whimsical dance, telling stories of suffering in the menacing breeze.

It enticed him to join them by saying:

"Come on in!"

It was tumultuous and loud...

"Let's be together, Jiang Wanyin!"

...like the roll of an enormous and distant drum battering the charge of the gale.

"Do you want to stay?"

'Spiritual Qi is energy. Resentment is also energy. Spiritual Qi is stored within the dantian and can be used for great feats, so why can't Resentful Qi be used in the same way?'

"Play with us!"

The black and shrill noises pressed against Jiang Cheng's ears, and he let out a chilling scream that seemed to warm his lungs with an inhuman warmth in the overwhelming darkness.

"Fuck off! Fuck off! Fuck off!"

He crawled away, his fingers digging tenaciously into polluted soils. His legs were completely useless. His back had the weight of affliction.

"You need us."

His skin burned, as though all the fires of the Earth and air had taken firm hold of his flesh and stung the soul behind it with the tongue of a serpent.

'Gaining Spiritual Qi requires cultivating and arduously forming a golden core. Who knows how long that'll take for someone like me? Any aptitude I have seems to have been gobbled on by dogs in my mother's womb.'

Curved, pointed nails were hauled all over Jiang Cheng's mind. Risks were steered into his joints.

'But Resentful Qi... that's richly produced by all those malevolent creatures out there. If it could be put to use, how nice would that be?'

"Follow us."

'Right? It'd be a waste not to use it.'

Jiang Cheng's mouth tasted metallic. He swallowed, his throat devoid of moisture. He blinked, his vision becoming hazy.

"I don't want to die..." He says.

In the midst of the haze...

Jiang Cheng remembered Yunmeng's abundance of lakes -- the verdant leaves, the pink, smooth blossoms.

He remembered the Lotus Pier of the Yunmeng Jiang Clan -- bustled with vendors, cultivators honing their skills on the sword.

He remembered running to the pier with Wei Ying when they were younger.

'Wei Ying, come on!'

'Wait, Jiang Cheng!'

Fuqin and A-Niang were both wearing smiles as they sat beneath a pavilion.

Warm and sweet. Not at all bitter.

'A-Cheng, didn't I tell you to gather others and search for her together?'