Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Forgot Where I Put It

"Jiang Cheng!"

Wei Ying did everything she could to break-free from her paralysis. Unfortunately, never once did she moved an inch.

She cried.

"Jiang Cheng!"

The cry was reminiscent of when she was being chased by dogs.

"Why?!"

She knew she couldn't destroy the chains prisoning her body movements.

"Why?!"

She knew that, all she did were all in vain.

"Why?!"

Yet, she struggled, still.

Wei Ying could help you. She could give you support. She could bear the pain alongside you.

But...

He rejected her.

Wei Ying's cries didn't stop even after they had descended the mountain.

"Jiang Cheng!"

The sun filtered through the trees, casting enigmatic shadows.

The town where they had arrived was in a mountainous region. Very remote. And had only a few residents.

"Neigh!"

The streets, that glinted in the midday sun, were narrow and uneven, with no vendors by the roadside.

When Jin Zixuan drew on the reins, the horse and carriage slowed to a halt. He dismounted his horse and entered the carriage to check on Wei Ying.

Her eyes swam with tears.

Jin Zixuan witnessed a tear escaping her eyes, outlining her face, and racing to wet the pillow cushioned over her head.

Her lips tremor as they opened to say: "How could he do this to me...?"

Jin Zixuan said emphatically. "Wei Ying, calm down." He sought for words of comfort. "Jiang Wanyin gave his word. He will be back in seven days. You'll see him again--"

"How can I calm down?!" Wei Ying roared. "How?!" She locked him with a blizzard-cold stare and eyes as sharp as field steel. "He 'gave his word'? 'Will be back in seven days'?"

Don't make her laugh!

You didn't catch Jiang Cheng's expression the same way Wei Ying did!

'I've said what I had to say.'

Jiang Cheng looked at her with a dejected expression...

'Let's talk later.'

...As if it were their last meeting.

The roots of foreboding in Wei Ying's heart grew stronger overtime.

She can't... she can't condone this fear sprouting within her!

She intoned, "Don't talk to me."

Jin Zixuan said, in spite of her icy statement. "Wei Ying, you should eat at least." Holding a pot of chicken broth, he extended a spoon containing the soup close to her mouth.

On where he got this, Wei Ying doesn't give a fuck about it.

Jin Zixuan was known for his short patience, but he could be patient for Wei Ying's shit, it baffles her as to why he'd turned into this.

What did Jiang Cheng give him in exchange for the Peacock's tolerance of her?!

Wei Ying was indignant from his pestering, "I'm not hungry!" she snarled, "Take that away!"