Chapter 10

Chapter 10

You've Returned

Wen Ning took a stride forward. Grabbed the necks of Lan Sizhui and Jin Ling (who were closest to him), and lifts them off the ground with ease.

Jiang Cheng's eyes widened in surprise, but he quickly regained his composure.

He knows that the melody he played earlier had been too immediate. Too violent. Heightening Wen Ning's ferociousness.

Wen Ning had to be neutralized -- Jiang Cheng's emotions needed to be calm for this to happen.

And so, he confidently produced another tune.

This melody came to him naturally.

Peaceful and serene, in stark contrast to the strange, sharp sound from before.

Wen Ning froze, then he turned slowly toward where the flute was calling.

Jiang Cheng remained motionless, staring into those pupilless eyes.

Wen Ning...

What the hell have they done to you?

But how can Jiang Cheng blame 'them'?

'I'm not going to hurt you.'

'Quit hiding! They were completely unappreciative of your kindness!'

Your hands shouldn't have been bloodstained.

You didn't deserve this pain, but Jiang Cheng turned you into a 'lethal' weapon.

Out. Of. Selfishness.

'Jiang Wanyin! Jiang-gongzi, please... help A-Ning! Please save him!'

Wen Ning let go a moment later, making Lan Sizhui and Jin Ling fall with a rough 'thud!'. He dropped both his arms and trudged step by step at Jiang Cheng.

His head hung low as he dragged his chains across the ground, looking somewhat dejected. Jiang Cheng backed away as he played a tune on his bamboo flute, luring him over.

They walked in this way for a while, receding into the forest.

Until...

Suddenly, he was assaulted by an old memory, the sound of his poorly crafted flute stopped abruptly.

'What is that piece called?'

'It's 'Baby'! Every time I had a nightmare or troubled, my A-Niang would sing this to me.'

'It is mellow and euphonious -- pleasant to the ears, especially so hummed by my Yingying.'

Jiang Cheng's feet were firmly rooted to the ground. Unable to move. His upped wrists fluidly sinking to his side trunk.

'Humph! Such an ugly name.'

'No, it isn't! It came from my given name, 'Ying'! It's lovely, said by my A-Die!'

'But, A-Cheng, you liked the tune, didn't you?'

'...'

'More importantly, A-Ying has been humming it until now. Have you had any nightmares?'

'No...'

'Is Yingying troubled then?'

Wen Ning roared, as if throwing a fit because he couldn't find the mellow melody of the instrument, jarring Jiang Cheng out of his daze.

'I have to get him out of here!'

He brushed aside the vivid memory, lifted his arms, and blew through the flute.