13

Thirteen

Luke

"I told you she'd hate me," Sierra mumbled.

"She doesn't hate you," I sighed.

"Yes she does," Sierra argued. I pulled her into a hug, letting her head hit my chest as I rubbed her back. "I told you we should have waited,"

"I'll talk to her," I reassured her. "Alex likes you a lot though," I tried to lighten the mood.

"He likes everyone,"

"He really likes you though," I laughed and let go of the hug, picking up her chin with my pointer finger. "And I like you a lot,"

"Oh whatever," she rolled her eyes with a smile.

"It'll take time, but that's ok," I said.

"Daddy, Sierra, come play," Alex yelled from the living room.

"We'll be there in a second," I yelled back with a laugh.

"I'll go with him, I know you wanted to talk to Kenzie," she offered and I nodded. While she want into the living room, I went outside where Connor and Kenzie were sitting at the pool talking. When I went over, Kenzie looked at me, and it was clear she was upset.

"Kenz, can you help me set the table?" I asked.

"We're having pizza," she argued. The two of us stared at each other, neither budging. Though nothing was being said, our stares were saying enough. "Do you want to wait inside, Connor?" Kenzie broke our stare down to look at him.

"You sure?"

"I am," she nodded. Connor stood up and took his feet out of the pool. He gave Kenzie a quick kiss on the cheek, then awkwardly shuffled inside. I took his spot where he was sitting as Kenzie looked down at the pool.

"Why did you invite her?" she asked.

"I thought today would have been a good day, since we'd have people over," I explained.

"But it's my birthday, I wanted to celebrate with people I know," she retorted.

"You're right, I should have asked you, and I'm sorry," I apologized, finally seeing her point. "I'm not expecting you to instantly bring her into your life, or to consider her a mother, but it would be nice if you could give her a chance to be a part of your life, whether that's as a friend or female figure, something,"

"Maybe,"

"I can ask her to leave,"

"She's already here, that would be rude," Kenzie shook her head. "She can stay,"

"I'm sorry,"

"You owe me, big time," she looked at me.

"What do I owe you?"

"Coffee date,"

"Deal,"

"Can I go in with Connor now?" she asked and I nodded.

'Yeah, you can," I sighed, but pulled her into a hug before she could get up. "I love you,"

"I love you too," she hugged me back. She went to let go, but I kept hugging her, which made her groan. "Dad,"

"Stop growing up,"

"I'm not that old,"

"Yes you are,"

"Hey," she said in shock as I let go of her.

"Kidding," I chuckled. "Let's go in,"