17

Seventeen

Mackenzie

"Can I come in?" dad stood at my doorway, making me look up from the book I was reading.

"Uh huh," I nodded, putting my bookmark in my book and shutting it.

"How was work?" he asked, sitting across from me on my bed. Before I had decorated it emerald green, but now it was different. It was cream, gray, light pink, light green, and light blue. I changed my mind a lot, but I loved how it looked now.

"Good, I made almost $200 in tips,"

"Dang,"

"Yeah," I nodded. "How was work for you?"

"Good, had a couple of surgeries,"

"Did they go well?"

"Yep," he nodded. "I'm sorry for forcing you to have a relationship with Sierra, that wasn't ok of me. It should be at your own pace,"

"It's ok, I forgive you,"

"Do you want to talk about anything?" he asked. I was quiet as I brought my knees to my chest, holding them tightly.

"I just don't want any other people in my life, especially adults,"

"That's fair,"

"It sounds stupid, I try to be ok with you guys wanting to go your own ways, and I try to be ok with you wanting to date people, but I can't,"

"You went through a lot, and you still have to heal. That takes time,"

"I wish time would speed up,"

"I know, but it's a good thing that it isn't, so you can still stay young. I feel like it's moving too fast,"

I changed the topic, "Friday Paisley, Macy, and I are getting our nails done,"

"That will be fun,"

"I also want to get highlights, I'm saving up,"

"It's your hair, you do what you want with it," he said and I nodded.

"Will it look good?"

"Whatever you pick will look good," he reassured me.

"Can they spend the night Friday?"

"If they would like to they can,"

"I'll ask," I nodded. "We still need to go on our coffee date,"

"Sunday morning?"

"Ok, just us?"

"Just us," he confirmed, which made me smile.

"Good,"

"Tomorrow Sierra is coming over for dinner," he told me. "I won't force you to talk to her or anything, but I do ask that you at least for cordial,"

"I will,"

"Thank you,"

"Can I please keep reading?" I asked and he nodded, standing up. He said he would call me down when dinner was ready, which I just nodded in response to as I pulled back out my book. He closed the door behind him, and once I heard he was downstairs, I put my book back down and laid on my bed, covering myself with my duvet as I stared at the wall.