14

Fourteen

Mackenzie

After eating pizza and cake, dad decided I needed to open all my presents. I found opening presents in front of people was uncomfortable. I didn't know what my face did, how I reacted, or anything. This was also the first time I was celebrating my birthday in a long time, so that was weird.

"Mine first," Alex grabbed a poorly wrapped present. "Mikey helped me," he grinned happily.

"You did a great job," I smiled. I opened the present to see a pair of sunglasses and some earrings. "I love them, Ali, thank you," I smiled. He giggled and crawled onto my lap.

"Can I help?"

"Yeah, you can," I nodded. We continued to open presents (well, mostly Alex was opening them, which I didn't mind). Dad got me a car and some new room accessories, Michael and Crystal got me some makeup and hair accessories, Ashton got me some new books to read and nail polish, and Calum got me some new clothes that I had sent him the links to.

"This one next," Alex grabbed a pink bag.

"That ones from me," Connor said. Alex helped me open the bag (again, I was letting him open everything because I didn't care), and there was a hoodie along with a pair of leggings that I had wanted.

"I love them, thank you," I smiled as I held up the hoodie.

"Macy helped me pick it out," he admitted. "I don't know anything about leggings,"

"They're a good pick," I reassured him.

"This one, the last one," Alex grabbed an envelope and box, which was surprising because I didn't know who else would have gotten me a gift.

"That's from me," Sierra spoke up. I nodded and opened the envelope, which had a 16th birthday card along with two gift cards. One was to a nail salon and the other was to my favorite coffee shop. The box had a pair of gold hoop earrings, which I had been wanting a new pair since mine were getting old. I was assuming dad told her.

"Thank you so much," I smiled lightly and looked at her.

"You're welcome, I hope you like it," she smiled. Once I was done opening presents and saying thank you, everyone went off to do their own things. Connor and I hung out in the kitchen as I painted his nails along with Alex's. I didn't know who was worse while I painted their nails, none of them could stay still. Alex did seem to like Connor though, and Connor was really nice to him.

"I need to show Connor my toy cars," Alex told me as I sprayed the quick dry spray on his nails.
"You guys should be good, just be careful," I said and he nodded, leaving Connor upstairs while I cleaned up from painting their nails. As I capped the nail polish, Sierra came over without dad.

"Need help?"

'No I got it, but thank you," I politely declined. She nodded and we were silent again, but not a nice silence, and uncomfortable silence.

"Are you having a good birthday?"

"Mhm, thanks again for the gift cards and earrings,"

"You're welcome, your dad said you needed new earrings,"

"I figured," I zipped up the bag with the nail polish, then stood up. "I'm gonna go up with Connor and Alex,"

"Alright," she nodded and I walked past, going upstairs to get away from her.