22

Twenty Two

Luke

"You're not wearing your shirt," I heard Connor say.

"It's in the living room, I got hot," Kenzie told him. Her having a boyfriend still made me on edge. Hell, me having a girlfriend made me on edge. Like Kenzie told me, we were growing up. As much as I loved that, I also wish things could go back a couple of months. Where we'd all sit around and have family nights, be together all day, and Kenzie and Alex would come into work with us. That wasn't the case now. Alex was in daycare, Kenzie was working and had friends, and the guys and I were busier than ever.

There was a lot of talk about us getting our own places. Michael and Crystal want to move in together. I have two kids that I hated dumping on the three of them. They didn't mind, but also they were my responsibility. It wasn't fair for them to have to deal with everything like I did. Plus, when Sierra and I would get serious, I would like her to move in. That was still a couple of months away though, so we had time. Ashton and Calum already said they were keeping the house until the two of them got into relationships, and whoever wanted to move out couple, but was always welcomed back.

Things were changing though, and I needed to start planning the future. I couldn't rely on them forever, and we were all in places we could be on our own, but still rely on each other. That was where I always wanted to be, but now that it was happening, I was terrified.

"Dad, Sierra and Crystal are here," Kenzie said, walking past me, holding Connor's hand.

"Thanks," I told her. "How are you, Connor?"

"I'm good, how are you?" he asked.

"I'm good, thanks for asking," I smiled lightly. The two went outside to join the rest of the party where music was playing and a bunch of teenagers were in the pool and hanging out. Sierra came in with Crystal following.

"Hey," Sierra smiled, quickly kissing me as she put a grocery bag down.

"What's that?"

"Ashton forgot fruit and vegetables,"

"Figures," I chuckled. "Thank you for picking them up, how much do I owe you?"

"Luke, it's fruits and vegetables, don't worry about it," she reassured me. "How is the party?"

"It's good," I looked outside. "Pretty chaotic. Michael, Calum, and Ashton are out with Alex and everyone else, I offered to finish setting up in here,"

"I'll go join them," Crystal took the grocery bag before going out.

"What's wrong?" Sierra asked.

"Nothing," I reassured her quickly.

"There's clearly something wrong,"

"I don't know, just reminiscing in the past, and it kind of sucks to see Kenzie and Alex growing up," I explained with a sigh. "Like, I would never want to turn back the clock to way in the past, when they were hurt, but kind of in the middle, you know?"

"It's ok to feel upset about that, but you still have forever with them. Plus, these will be fun times as well. I mean, Alex will be starting kindergarten, and that's such a fun age. And Kenzie is at the age where she can do more things with you,"

"If she'll want to," I chuckled.

"I see the way she admires you, Lu," Sierra smiled. "I don't think the two will ever be the kids to push you away,"

"She's opening up to you more, I think,"

"You think so?"

"Well, she didn't pretend to vomit in disgust when you came," I said, making Sierra chuckle.

"That's a start,"

"A very good start,"