18

Eighteen

Mackenzie

"Hey, come in," I heard Luke cheer. I knew Sierra was here, which made me roll my eyes as I continued to scroll through tiktok. After work I had hid up in my room all day, just doing whatever I felt like doing. I chose for it to be a lazy day, and I was ok with that. The guys respected it as well, which I appreciated.

"Sierra's here, Sierra's here," I heard Alex yelling from downstairs. He was young, he was a kid, it was easy for him to move past what happened with our biological parents. I was the opposite, and I was jealous of him. I was so envious that he could easily let people in and trust people, but I couldn't. I don't think I ever could, and that was frustrating to me.

"Kenz, come on down," dad yelled upstairs. I sighed, trying to motivate myself to get out of bed. Luckily I didn't need much motivation because Ashton had come in to motivate me.

"Come on sleepy head, let's head down,"

"Do I have to?" I looked up at him.

"Remember the agreement," he told me. "Don't have to be ok with her yet, but you have to be cordial,"

"Fine," I huffed. He held out his hands and helped me up, then we went down.

"Ash, can you help me with the potatoes?" Michael asked.

"Yeah, I'm coming," Ashton patted my back before rushing to the kitchen. In the living room, Sierra was sitting on the ground and playing cars with Alex. I sat at the island, offering assistance to Calum who was cutting up grilled chicken.

"Kenz, can you set the table?' dad asked, coming in with the rest of the chicken.

"Yeah," I nodded, hopping down from the chair and grabbing some plates and silverware. After setting the table and bringing out the food, we all sat around for dinner. I was fortunate enough to distract myself with Ashton and Michael so I didn't have to talk to dad or Sierra. I knew dad was catching onto what I was doing, but I wasn't doing anything bad, so he couldn't say anything.

Once dinner was done, I helped clean up, then went outside with Alex. I watched him play on the playground until dad and Sierra had come out. Instantly, Alex was yelling for dad to help him with the monkey bars, so he excused himself, which annoyed me, "Your dad said you were getting your nails done tomorrow," Sierra broke the silence.

"Yeah," I nodded. We were silent again, I knew that she didn't know what to do. I was being aloof, and she didn't want to push me. "I picked out the design,"

"What'd you pick?"

"Orange nails with white flowers, to match my swimsuit,"

"That will be cute,"

"Thanks," again we were quiet, "you can come if you want,"

"When is the party?"

"Saturday at four,"

"I'll be there," she smiled. "Thanks,"

"You're welcome,"