Chapter 17: The Funeral Begins

Just moments before the coffin was closed for the funeral, Sabine deeply cried because it would be the last time she've seen her daugther. From afar, Joe and Alya talked.

"Poor Mrs. Dupain-Cheng.," Alya said while Joe remained silent. "She've first saw the death of her own daugther, now this will be the last day that she'll saw her.," Alya added.

Joe still went silent, so Fei asked him.

"Is there something wrong, Joe?," Fei asked.

"Nothing. Nothing.," Joe said. "My heart broked down when I saw what Alya is talking to and she's right. This will be the last day seeing the cold body of her own daughter. I just can't believed what happened to her, seeing her own daugther like this.," he added.

After a while, Joe asked Alya.

"Hey, Alya, what did you say the previous night?," Joe asked.

"About that you can't help thinking that we'll not seeing Mari ever again after today. Yeah. Why?," Alya said.

"I just felt the same."

"I know it's also hard on you as well, Joe."

Joe was thankful to have Alya by his side, admist their final moments in front of Marinette.

Meanwhile, Adrien and Mattia talked about the details in the funeral.

"Adrien, what time and where is the funeral?," Mattia asked.

"Right about 10AM at the Notre-Dame Church.," Adrien answered and asked why Mattia wanted to tell him the details.

"I just wanted to see how hard it was lose a friend in needed.," Mattia answered.

"Why is that even mean, Mattia?," Adrien asked.

"Just to show Lila why she's done that thing and to show she've the devil in the eyes of an lost angel.," Mattia answered.

"Great rhyming there."

"Taken from the best."

"From Joe? From Mario?"

"From a lost friend from Naples.," Mattia said. "A lost childhood friend from Naples."

Minutes later, people have started to walk and wait outside the Dupain-Cheng Bakery for the final preparations. Roger and Eva have surveyed the Parisians to either to walk to the Notre-Dame de Paris or to ride with a car to the same location. Most of the people, including Marinette's closest friends, choose to walk, while the Dupain-Cheng family is not surveyed.

It is now quarter to 10AM, and the preparations for the funeral for Marinette Dupain-Cheng are now complete. While that was going on, Alya cried like the previous night. But unlike the previous night, Nicole was there for Alya.

"It's ok, Alya. It's ok.," Nicole said. "Marinette took care of you at your worst times, and so does you at her worst. But this time, you were there for her but it was too late.,"

"I'm a bad friend, Nicole. I didn't protect Mari from Lila.," Alya sobbingly said.

"Listen to me, Alya. You're not a bad friend to Mari.," Nicole reaffirmed. "She handled her case to much without you and her friends, especially Joe and Chloe, knowing what happened to her. We do have our tough times, but we always survived. Stay strong, okey?"

Alya wiped her tears.

"Thanks, Nicole.," Alya said.

"You're welcome."

By 10AM, the walk to the Cathedral started and it only took 50 minutes, thanks of couse to the slow walks. An hour after the walk started, the funeral mass started. By noon, the mass ended, and soon starts the eulogies for the deceased Marinette, starting off with her parents.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 568 (Published: 07/02/23)

A/N: No note.