Chapter 19

(Y/N)'s POV

Today was the day; I had to go to the dinner party. It was exciting yesterday, but now that it was only 30 minutes away, I was scared. I only saw a fraction of their home, and I had only known them for five days. They were friendly, but their money frightened me.

'It's only for the evening.' I attempted to soothe myself. 'After tonight, you can go home and get into bed. Maybe, search for a job.'

"(Y/N)! They're here!" (G/N) shouted from downstairs.

For the last time, I checked if I had everything I needed: my phone, keys, and some pocket money. With that knowledge being my only comfort, I went down the steps.

Edward stood next to them with a smile growing on his face as I walked down. When only five steps were left, he approached and offered his hand to help me down. I stopped, feeling unsure about taking his hand.

"What a gentleman! Go ahead, take his hand, honey!"

I could see (G/N) from over his shoulder; they smiled and had their hands clasped together. It was like they were waiting for the two actors in a romance movie to kiss.

I took his hand and watched as they turned into mush.  It was oddly amusing. "Let's go." I smiled at him. 'I might actually enjoy tonight.'

"(Y/N), (G/N), I'm glad to see you have come!" Esme excitedly ushered us to the dining room. "Please, wait here; we still have a few more preparations to attend to."

The dining table had a pristine white tablecloth over it. There was a vase full of roses in the center of the wooden rectangular table. Two tall candle sticks sat on either side in candle holders. The table was neatly set.

"Wow, this looks nice! (Y/N); look at it!" (G/N) ran their fingers over the white tablecloth. "Isn't it nice?"

"Yes, it is. I suppose it is something you should expect. We are in a wealthy family's home." I stood by their side, also admiring the cloth. "I wonder why they would want to talk to us; we are not rich at all."

"(Y/N)! Don't be rude! As Esme said, they want to get to know their neighbors. Now, be nice to them. Can't you see they put a lot of work into this?" They gestured to the table once more.

I decide not to talk about my feelings any further. I did like them, but I did feel targeted. 'If this dinner was to get to know the neighbors, why were we the only ones here?'

I wanted to keep my mind busy. I did not have any reason to suspect them of anything. I needed some air.

I wondered about the house and found a balcony not far from where I was initially. Next to the balcony was a tall tree that had two familiar people in its branches.

Jasper and Alice brightened at the sight of me and jumped down to see me. Alice was first, and Jasper was a close second.

"(Y/N)! It's nice to see you!" She gave me a tight hug.

"It's a pleasure to see you, (Y/N)." Jasper smiled and nodded at me, his hands behind his back.

"Yes, I agree." A smile graced my face. I had to admit that it was nice to see them as well, even though they acted like we didn't meet yesterday. They acted like we hadn't seen each other in years.

I took in the scenery around us, taking hold of the balcony's rail. Alice stood to my left, and Jasper took my right.

"It looks so pretty here. I'm guessing that's why you two like it." I smiled, leaning over the railing to view the woods below. It smelled like it had freshly rained out here. It helped relax the thoughts I had about them.