Present Day

»»----- ♥ -----««

»»----- ♥ -----««

PRESENT DAY

Present Day, 1st November 2000
MISS DAWSON

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit starstruck, Miss Lawson. To be in the midst of such a star in the book community, it's an honour."

I've never been good at holding my tongue in these kinds of situations. It's clear this guy has no idea who he's interviewing and was just paid to show up.

"It's Dawson. That wasn't very professional of you, Mr Host." My lips tug into a slight smile as I stare into the eyes of the man across from me. There is no doubt he's silently quaking in his pristine white suit.

He glances over to the audience, presses his lips together in embarrassment, and then turns back to me. "I apologise, I didn't mean to offend you."

"I'm kidding!" I burst into a fit of laughter, fake laughter, and pat the interviewer's arm with hidden distaste. "They're similar so I'll let you off."

"A good sense of humour, I love that!" he chuckles, though he's far too preoccupied with running his finger along the outline of the woman on the cover of my book to really give a shit about me. "Perhaps we ought to jump straight in before your fans slaughter me for wasting precious time."

It's true, my fans are devoted to me, or rather the person I've become.

"Yes!" I clap my hands together and wink at the group of girls cheering my name. They're almost manic; excited in an unhealthy way for the information I have to spill. That sort of behaviour receives a satisfied smile from me. "Please ask away."

"So, you're a relatively new author, yes?"

Again, if you had done your research...

"Yep, this is my first book - my pride and joy!"

"I mean, it's pretty unheard of for a first-time author to generate this much success, and at such a young age too. How are you finding the sudden rise to fame?"

How cliche.

"Well, it's not been a smooth ride, I won't lie. Being tossed into the spotlight as a result of something I poured my heart and soul into is amazing; it's like a dream come true, but it has its downsides as well..."

The lack of privacy for starters.

"Do elaborate? Judging by that look on your face, it seems you've not had an easy ride?"

He has no idea.

"Well, Star is quite a story and although it's at the top of the UK's bestseller list, it's received a lot of backlash as well. I'm all for a bit of constructive criticism, but some of these readers absolutely hate my ending. I'm not offended at all, trust me, it's just-" The interviewer moves his hand in such a way to hurry me along. "Well, no one knows this and I'm a bit nervous to tell you..."

"Wow, listen carefully folks, it looks like a secret is about to be revealed." He dramatically brings his finger up to his lips like a child. I watch as the audience members lean forward - they too are drawn in by the mystery. "Go on, Miss Dawson," he encourages, tilting his ear towards me.

Here it goes.

"Well, my first draft of Star had such a different ending; one that may shock you all. At the last minute, and after some heavy consideration, I decided on this one." I rub my book fondly, a warm smile lifting my face. "I suppose I wrote this version from the heart."

The audience inhales a gulp of air before their flurry of whispers travel through the studio. It's interesting to see the disturbance I caused in a matter of seconds. There's no doubt in my mind that everyone is conversing with conspiracies.

With a proud purse of the lips, I sit back and watch the chaos as it unravels in front of me.

Because, after all, it is what I do best.

In fact, I'll let you in on another little secret. And this one is specifically for those of you who are only seconds away from starting my book. The reason I wasn't nervous about telling the audience that certain little fact about my story, was simple.

No other characters are alive to stop me.

***

A/N

So for those of you who don't know, this is a book within a book. You shall now be starting Miss Dawson's novel "Star".

Enjoy

Meg x