star: the right thing

STAR: THE RIGHT THING

Wonwoo found out that day, that all people are made up of layers and layers of secrets, betrayals and burdens.

You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you; buried in their own self inflicting prophecies. You will never know them, but sometimes you're fooled into letting your guard down. And that's the worst betrayal of all because you saw it coming, but human nature entails that you ride it out anyway.

The fact is, no one is who they say they are, and Diana was no exception.

Wonwoo sat in the library the following evening after drinking the morning away. He thought it might have helped him with what he'd seen, but it didn't. The name was still lingering in his mind like a jarring goldfish relentlessly circling its bowl.

There was no escaping it.

Squinting his eyes at the search engine, he typed in her name and waited for the results. It was the longest and most nerve-wracking ten seconds of his life, and nothing would have prepared him for the information that eventually plagued his screen.

Her face was as clear as day; must have been from her high school graduation. She was younger, but not unrecognisable, with long dark hair and the same vivid eyes. She looked pure and happy, despite the bold black headlines cancelling out whatever innocent act she was set on playing.

It couldn't be true. Not his Diana - not the warm and caring girl that couldn't be seen without a bright smile and rosy blush decorating her ivory skin.

GIRL, 21, ALLEGEDLY KILLS BOYFRIEND IN CRIME OF PASSION.
Parents of twenty-six-year-old Austin Martinez, request a second autopsy after neighbours heard his girlfriend in a "fit of rage".

TWENTY-ONE-YEAR-OLD BECOMES SUSPECT IN BOYFRIENDS 'STAGED' SUICIDE.
Austin Martinez, 26, died on the 25th October after supposedly deciding to end his own life. A second autopsy was requested by his parents and it's been said that the angle of the bullet that pierced his skull could not have been self-inflicted. His girlfriend is the main suspect in the case, but her location is unknown.

TAKEN TOO SOON. IN LOVING MEMORY OF AUSTIN MARTINEZ.
This page is dedicated to our dear baby Austin who was taken too soon. If you have any information regarding his passing, please contact us. We will do anything to find out who was behind this ungodly crime.

GROWN-UP FOSTERLING BECOMES SUSPECT IN BOYFRIEND'S BRUTAL MURDER.
Can your upbringing truly mould your future? In this case, yes. Foster family speaks out on their child's rebellious nature after becoming friends with town's devil incarnate.

A picture of Diana and Satine, sat with their heads rested together, filled the white screen in front of Wonwoo. He felt sick to his stomach; having to hold his breath just to stop himself from vomiting. The worst part was that he couldn't help himself. He just kept clicking and clicking, delving deeper into their lives, into the gruesome description of Austin's autopsy report.

There were so many articles, ones dating back years. Arrests for vandalism, assault, arson - everything a juvenile delinquent could do to cause trouble.

He wondered how a person was able to come out the other side so sane after such unruly adolescence; how the system hadn't swallowed them up yet. He found out pretty quickly from another article, that money can solve anything.

"We're closing now, hun," the librarian called from behind her desk, startling him.

Closing the browser as fast as he could, he made sure to wipe the search history. Not one, but two revelations had been unveiled and it was too much for him. Wonwoo never truly understood the meaning of devastation, not until then.

He was faced with a decision, one that tested where his loyalty lay. It was a no brainer, however, there was no way he was witnessing Mingyu meet the same fate as Austin or be lied to anymore.

Telling him was the right thing to do, he just had to do it quickly.

***

A/N

Vote, follow & share🤠