star: a romance novel

STAR: A ROMANCE NOVEL

He just couldn't stop fucking up.

"You're supposed to be at work," Mingyu muttered, refusing to meet Diana's eyes as he pulled up his joggers.

It felt awkward between them; different to what it used to be. Like they didn't have a history of five o'clock hook-ups when Satine was at work.

"Called in sick."

The words shot out of his mouth faster than a speeding bullet. "Why, what's wrong? Are you ill?" He finally caught her gaze and took a few steps forward before remembering why he needed to keep a distance.

He was trying to do better - for all three of their sakes.

"Erm, sort of, I suppose." Diana raked a hand through her short hair. "I guess I've not been doing so well since Wonwoo and all, and I had a chat with Star the other day that really-" She stopped herself before she gave away too much. It wasn't her story to tell, no matter how badly she wanted to share the burden.

She remembered sitting there, watching Satine knock back her seventh shot of tequila and spill it all. Finding out her usually so cocky best friend was groomed and impregnated by a dude twice her age; then miscarried all alone without even a noticeable change in character - it was the last thing she was expecting.

And it was sickening.

For some reason, the news blew a hole through her chest and installed a fury like no other in place of her heart. It made her feel guilty about everything she'd done with Mingyu, only because there was a possibility that Satine wasn't as perfect as she imagined her to be. Her friend wore her heart on her sleeve like any normal twenty-one-year-old would.

And maybe Satine didn't deserve Diana's attempt at revenge.

Diana was made to question every decision since coming to New York. Was she wrong in what she was doing? What if Austin had seduced Satine that night? What if Satine had fallen for his charms? After all, Diana had also fallen victim to the attention and charm someone like Austin had to offer.

They were both blinded by Mingyu, maybe they weren't so different.

Mingyu listened with soft eyes. Diana looked different, sort of run down and frail. Her brown hair was no longer highlighted with sparks of golden tinsel and her skin seemed paler, more translucent than it had ever been. Her hazel eyes, which were once the brightest stars in the galaxy, were dull and bleak, holding not even an inkling of that cheek he so adored. They were two empty spheres filled with nothing but mystery.

He hadn't seen her in days. He didn't know where she was the night before, nor remembered that she even inhabited his loft in the first place. He had a major problem, hyper-fixating on one girl at a time.

"I haven't been doing too well either..." Mingyu admitted with a sympathetic gaze. "I was so preoccupied with grieving Wonwoo that I didn't have a chance to fully come to terms with losing CJ."