star: perpetual dispair

STAR: PERPETUAL DISPAIR

It felt as if time had slowed since the news of DK's disappearance, and Satine had been spending as much time away from home as possible, drowning herself in Jeonghan' company just for some sense of normality. Spending more than an hour with Mingyu left her exhausted; it was like talking to a brick wall. He was practically unresponsive and would barely eat, sleep or even talk to her unless it was absolutely necessary.

He just couldn't understand why his best friend would leave so abruptly. It was almost like he'd lost a part of himself, a vital part that left him half a man and half a musician.

Eventually, much to Satine's distaste, Mingyu started to drink. It was inevitable, but she certainly didn't expect to be dragged along to different bars to witness his drunken shenanigans.

The only time he even remotely calmed down was when he was reminded Diana hadn't come home from the office that night - and that was the hardest part for Satine.

She had lost so much already, and it felt as if Mingyu was slipping through her fingers like sand through an hourglass.

***

19:01
Dotty: I'm working late again tonight. I've got half a book to read by tomorrow. Don't wait up.

19:02
Dotty: Scrap my last message. I forgot you'll all be at the bar till sunrise, I'll see you later.

Sighing, Satine threw her Nokia into her bag, actively avoiding Mingyu's side-eye. Though she didn't care to admit it, a part of her knew he was waiting on Diana's arrival. The brunette had been in and out all week, working till the early hours of the morning, and it's safe to say Mingyu noticed her absence.

Surprisingly it became a type of relief for Satine, seeing the slightest glimmer of emotion in his eyes when Diana didn't walk into the loft each evening. She supposed his and Diana's affair had a silver lining - she was able to wake him up inside and make him feel something when Satine couldn't.

The only thing helping her through the relentless heartache was the fact that Mingyu still clung to her at night and used her body in ways no other man could or would. She was sure he still loved her, and that gave her so much hope.

It may sound ridiculous to most people, but Satine wasn't interested in losing. She never had been. When she looked at Mingyu, she saw something raw and real that she had no desire to give up. It broke her that he was conversing in such a brutal affair, but she was smart and knew how to play the long game.

Mingyu would eventually see that she was devoted to him in every aspect. All he ever wanted was security, someone constant, even if he was too proud to admit it.

In Satine's opinion, there was no stronger act of loyalty than somebody willing to forgive one of the worst forms of betrayal. She had let him mould her into this new being and wasn't interested in letting everything she worked for go to waste.