star: satine fontaine

STAR: SATINE FONTAINE

Just turned twenty-one, you would think Satine Fontaine like any newly legal adult, would have hightailed it to the bar or club to celebrate her coming of age. But no, she didn't see the point of drinking, not when you could be blissfully sober. You see, Satine didn't understand why people would want to waste their time and money, drinking their days away and losing brain cells, when being insanely aware of your surroundings was way more fun. She thought it would be much more enjoyable to get a pilot license or to put her poker talent to good use.

These were all classed as the coolest things a twenty-one-year-old could be doing in her opinion.

Besides, she'd already done the whole drinking thing in her teens and although she still loved the owner of her local bar, he wasn't quite as interesting as a new beginning.

Satine came from a rich family of old money, not that she thought that kind of thing was important anymore. Her dad did though, and that's why she couldn't wait to get out of that place. As a child, Satine was as spoilt as spoilt could be, gifted with cars, designer handbags, shoes galore and the most beautiful jewellery known to man. She thought she had it all; turns out she had nothing.

Well, nothing truly valuable.

As she got older, she started to realise that those who enjoyed her showered her with gifts. It must sound amazing to those who weren't blessed with the same luxury, but it only fills the gaping hole to a certain extent. It seemed no one ever wanted Satine past a certain point and it sort of made her bitter - which is understandable when one of those people is your dad.

Satine's father was absent for most of her childhood, flying off to God knows where; doing God knows what with God knows who. All he had to show for his glamorous trips was a present each time for Satine, enclosed inside a gold box and tied with a black satin ribbon.

Her dad wasn't awful by any means, he was just naive to the heartache he was inflicting on his only child.

Fast forward to her teenage years and Satine was acting out in rebellion just to get his attention. Being escorted down to the police station every Friday night became a habit for her, dissimilarly to her friendly acquaintances who'd be drinking the night away. No one understood her. No one could understand why the girl who had it all would steal and vandalise and play with fire until she blissfully got burned. She was an enigma in all aspects of the word.

Eventually, troubled youths find their ground and Satine found hers in the most unlikely of places... or person for that matter. The divine being that humbled her, showed her what it was like to truly have nothing, not even a parent that fakes their adoration with materialism.

As Satine wasn't a particularly giving person, it came as quite a shock to those around her that the first thing she did as a sign of appreciation for her newfound friend, was to share everything. That was just the type of girl Satine was. It was all or nothing. And although she would never admit it, she was saved the day they met.