11: Magic Shoes

"And no matter what I do. Trent always makes me look like a fool in front of Janelle." Leo said pacing back and forth. I spun around in the chair listening to him.

"Well, he does get a little help from you in that area." Chase teased, he stopped typing on the computer. Leo laughed sarcastically and I lightly slapped Chase on his arm. Chase went back to programming.

"How awesome would it be if I could beat him in that basketball tournament? That would impress her."

"You could always start practicing." I suggested. Leo groaned and faced Chase.

We both looked at him, he stopped typing again, based on his expression he had an idea.

"Wait a second."

"Uh-oh, you just turned on that Chase I'm-smarter-than-you-and-I-have-a-big-idea-light-bulb face!" Leo recognized. I've been around Chase long enough to know that face. "It's not your best look, by the way."

"I don't think it's the best time to point out looks. He's helping you." I defended Chase. I thought he looked intelligent but it also gave him an arrogant look.

"You're just staying that cause you like how he looks." Leo retorted.

Leo isn't wrong. I think Chase was attractive. Actually, I think all of them are good looking, I never did understand why someone makes a big deal out of thinking that, it doesn't mean I have feelings for them.

Chase blushed, "Anyways, Davenport has been working on an anti-gravity high-top sneaker for astronaut training." Chase said, getting up from his chair and walking to a pair of shoes on a bench. Leo and I trialed behind him.

Chase, Adam and Bree all told me they preferred to call their father 'Mr. Davenport' than dad. They only mentioned it when Adam slipped up and called his Mr. Davenport. I kinda understood how they could be more comfortable calling their dad by his name. Adam also slipped up by mentioning they sleep in the lab. They had to explain that to me as well.

The thing that bothered me was how they kept lying about it straight to my face. I can't exactly complain though, they don't know everything about me, but I don't really keep my family business a secret. It just never comes up.

"So, what do you think Lauren?" I blinked a couple of times before my eyes landed on Leo and the shoes.

"Uh, they look great." I said, watching Leo jump with them on.

"Say hello to air Leo!" Leo exclaimed, a broad smile on his face.

"Now for the real test." Chase announced, he ran upstairs and soon came back with a basketball. I watched Chase dribble the ball and Leo stole it from him. Leo dribbled the ball, bounced of the wall, and dunked the basketball.

"Yes!"

With those shoes, my parkour skills would immensely improve. I wonder how much convincing will it take for Mr. Davenport to make me a pair.

"Did you see that?" Leo laughed, "I don't need these shoes. Thats was all me. Watch." Leo claimed, taking off the glowing blue and gray sneakers. Chase tossed the ball at him. Leo tried to dunk the ball like he had with the shoes on and face planted on the floor.