15: Day Two Of Building A Lab

Sundays. A day of relaxation. It's known as a day to not do any work. Putting your yourself and mind at ease.

But not my dad, nope, he wanted to go back to his old friends house and continue to help him. I'll admit, it is admirable the loyalty and willingness to help but why do we have to be dragged into it? I'm not Dougie's 'BFF.' I'm not even friends with his son.

Dad thinks otherwise. He wants me to put in effort to befriend him. Like, I didn't try yesterday. I can't really fight dad on this one. His mind is set on helping Douglas finish the lab for some unknown reason. So, here we are again, inside the house with an underground lair.

This time I was put to clean the house along with Tony. Dad and Douglas looked over some blueprints, beginning a project. All I know so far is it has a circular base and multiple poles.

Marcus was somewhere in the house and he would occasionally walk in the room. Every time he did, he made eye contact with me. I tried my best not to look at him but I couldn't help it.

I sighed picking up more loose metals scraps. Now that I'm alone with my thoughts, my mind started drifting to different things. A question I asked myself was; how did Marcus get his powers? Maybe he was born with his powers. If he was, does that mean Douglas or his mom have powers. Is it genetics? A freak accident? Perhaps, he's a cyborg? It's not so far fetch his dad is a literal mad scientist. And I say mad 'cause the collection of weapons this man has is concerning. They're cool but highly concerning.

"Hey, kids, why don't you take a break?" Douglas suggested. I glanced between him and dad. Dad nodded and I stood from the ground brushing the dirt off my knees. Tony was the first to walk back upstairs. He sat on the couch taking his phone out. I sat beside him and stared up at the ceiling. I would take out my phone, but it was on low percentage and I didn't have a charger with me.

I heard footsteps approaching. Dad must be done or getting more supplies. I closed my eyes having to rely on my imagination for entertainment. I heard those footsteps from before stop near the couch. I paid no mind to it. That was until I felt a tap on my forehead. I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was Marcus, upside down.

"Follow me." Marcus ordered, walking away. I stood up perplexed at the sudden interaction with him. I followed him and heard Tony stifled a laugh. I flipped him off rushing to catch up to Marcus. I spotted him waiting by his room. He opened the door and let me inside first. He closed the door behind him and sat on the bed that was in the middle of the room.

"Sorry for how I was acting yesterday." Marcus apologized, he stiffly patted the open space near him. It was amusing to witness but could tell it was force.

"Did your dad put you up to this?" I genuinely asked, "If you don't want to speak with me, I get it. You don't have to force yourself to do it?"

"My dad told to me to befriend you." Marcus confessed. He stood up, putting his hands in his pockets. "The thought of associating myself with you was pointless—"

"Totally not hurtful. But go on."

"Like I was saying. After some thought. I realized that It... it would be nice to have a real friend." Marcus sighed. "I often hate to agree with my dad knowing how annoyingly narcissistic he can be, but maybe he's right about this. I'm sorry and I hope we can start over." 

Marcus twiddled with the hem of his shirt. I stayed quiet for a while before answering.

"I would like that." I nodded trying to keep cool.