21: Wild Assumptions and laser tag gone wrong

I reread the text multiple times getting more and more worried as I read it. There is no way he knows the real reason, does he?

"Hey you okay?" Marcus asked. I put my phone down and nodded. I picked up my controller again focusing back on the game.

Another round went by— I won this one— and I felt my phone vibrate again. I softly sighed hesitant to read what it says. I took my phone from my pocket and faced the screen towards me.

'Can you come over today?' Chase sent.

"What is it?" Marcus asked. He looked down at my phone then at me. I turned the phone over to him. He skimmed through the text and returned it back to me. "You should go."

My eyes widened as I looked at Marcus, "What?! No!"

"See what he thinks he found out then smooth things over. You'll be fine. Chase is weak around you." Marcus sneered.

I clenched my jaw and opened the message back.

'Yeah'
'I'll be there soon.'

I regretting it the second it was sent. No, no, no I won't think like this. Chase may be smart but he's oblivious most of the time. He doesn't know, he can't.

"Come on, I'll walk you out." Marcus said, getting up from the floor. I sighed and walked with him downstairs.

"Hey, dad, I'm going over to the Davenport's... can I get a ride? Please?" I asked fidgeting with my necklace. Dougie and dad looked at each other sharing a knowing look. Dad returned his attention on me and nodded. He grabbed his jacket and keys. I followed behind him with Marcus still on my side.

"Before careful, alright." Marcus whispered. He gently squeezed my hand and let it go when dad turned around. He waved at Marcus and Dougie. Dad and I climbed on the bike putting our helmets on.

I really hope Chase doesn't know the truth.

———————————

When arriving to the familiar mansion, Chase was already outside sitting on the bench waiting for me.

"Have fun." Dad said. He waved at Chase before backing into the road. It was just Chase and I now. I sheepishly smiled at him and immediately looked down when meeting his eyes.

"Come on. Let's go inside."

Chase took my arm and guided me inside the house. The living room was empty meaning: Tasha was out shopping (probably) and his siblings and dad must be in the lab.

We walked quietly to the elevator and waited to reach the lab. I would say it was awkward... but I can't really tell. He doesn't seem bothered. Hell, if I'm not mistaken he looks smug about something. I'm worried, of course, but I wouldn't say it made the air tense. It was just... quiet.

Speaking of quiet, the lab is eerily silent. I expected some type of explosion, a scream at least, but nothing was heard. We walking further into the lab and no one was there.

"They all went out for some 'bonding' time." Chase explained. I nodded and my brows furrowed realizing something.

"If it's a family 'bonding' thing... Why aren't you with them?"