39: Talent Show

Today is the day I've been dreading, even more than picture day. The worst part being Ms. Whitlock nonstop mentioning it.

The schools talent show.

I don't want to be in it but she insists that I play my guitar for a spot in the show. After her persuasive skills— she told me I would get extra credit— I agreed. But apparently I wasn't as persuasive as my favorite teacher. I failed to get Marcus to perform with me.

I wouldn't say I have a fear of performing but I definitely don't like the attention. Which to this today still makes me wonder how in the hell did Tony and I perform our dances to crowds of people.

On top of it being the day of auditions, Marcus wasn't attending school again. I'm getting tired of only hearing, 'It's almost time, he can't go today,' all said by his creator. I already gave him the benefit of the doubt when he missed some days around his birthday, but we're way passed that now. Come to think of it, Marcus did look tense when I left the house. Maybe what they have planned is sooner than I though. Only time will tell.

As I shut my locker I caught sight of the three Davenport brothers. I walked over to them hoping they would take my mind out of the show and Douglas.

"Did you guys see the yearbook?" Chase stood in between Adam and Leo, showing them the book in his hands, "Everybody but me got a 'most likely to...' even Leo!"

"What? let me see that." Leo snatched the book from his hands scanning the page for his name.

"Most likely never to get a 'most likely'" Leo paused. "I'm on the board!"

And here I thought he would be upset.

"Yeah, that's quite the accomplishment, Leo."

He narrowed his eyes and went back to the book, a wide smile on his face admiring his photo.

"Oh, hey. Lauren's here too." Leo pointed out, "Most likely to... get married young?"

I did a double-take to the page and saw he was right. I was hoping he'd misread that.

"Married young?" Chase questioned, also looking at the bizarre statement.

"Yeah. You guys didn't know about Marcus and Lauren." Adam smiled, wrapping his arm around me.

Chase's eyes widened and Leo scoffed.

The hell is he talking about?

"Marcus and Lauren?" Chase repeated and Adam nodded.

"Yeah, everyone thinks they're one of the cutest couples here. Congrats Lauren." Adam gave me tight hug and lifted me up. He set me down and was greeted with shocked and unamused faces.

"You're dating Marcus?!" Chase asked, practically yelling the question. I shushed him and looked around seeing some eyes on us.

"I didn't even know I was dating him." I answered. Marcus and I haven't really talked about what we are or anything. It never even crossed my mind but apparently to everyone else... we're a cute couple.

Chase furrowed his brows waiting for a clearer explanation. I sighed, "We aren't official or anything. People just assumed we were in a relationship."