24: Aftermath

Currently, I'm in Marcus's room. Yeah, dad didn't see the point in going back home. It's not like his daughter almost died and maybe wants to cuddle with their emotional support plushie. I had to take Marcus's teddy bear since we're here. I don't mind it, it's a comfortable plush bear. Marcus was kind enough to let me borrow it and let me sleep on his bed. I was lying my head on top of his chest— his idea, not mind.

I felt myself slowly drift off to dreamworld when I heard shouting from downstairs. I groaned rubbing my face. Marcus and I got up from bed and walked towards the living room. Once in the room we noticed dad and Douglas talking in a hushed tone. When they spotted us, they dropped their conversation.

"Listen kid, I just want you to know... I'm sorry." Douglas said, "You put yourselves at risk to help with this mission. You're strong, kid." Douglas placed a comforting hand of my shoulder. I looked down at his hand then back at him.

"Thanks. Can I go to sleep without interruptions now?"

"I'm trying to apologize— you know what? Just go." Douglas waved us off.

Marcus and I walked back upstairs. I didn't try to go to sleep again, any sleepiness I had left vanished. We sat on his bed quietly, I zoned out staring at the teddy bear in front of me.

"You know it was me, right?"

I hummed, I teared my gaze from the bear and looked at Marcus.

"I was the one that prevented the car from tipping over." Marcus explained.

"It's kinda rare to see someone with bionics, kinda figured it was you. Thank you by the way."

"Anytime. I will always be there for you."

A shy smiled spread across my face.

"Try to rest. You've had a long day, sweetheart."

‿‿‿‿ ‿‿‿‿ ‿‿‿‿

What does it mean when you dream of someone?

I've always heard that person is thinking of you, wants to see you, you miss them, or some other reason.

None of those check my marks. I'm next to Marcus so it cannot be that I miss him. He's seeing me right now and I doubt that he is thinking of me this very second so... why did I dream of him? Well, my final thought were about him being drifting off to sleep. That must be it. I mean let's be real, those words he told me yesterday... they made me feel secure. It held so much pure admiration behind them. He was genuine when he spoke out those words. 

Not once have I felt unsure in his presence. There have been times where I questioned his action but never did the thought of being in danger because of Marcus crossed my mind. I held so much trust in him.

I sighed placing my head into my arms. I brought my knees closer to me taking up a small space on the bed. I was leaning against the headboard of the bed. It was morning and still at Douglas's place.

Honestly I was expecting to wake up to nightmares. Guess Marcus's words had more of an effect than I expected.

He offered to stay with me last night to make sure I would be okay. I would have taken it if dad hadn't come up at that exact same time. Dad might've dragged Marcus out of the room. He could be a bit overprotective sometimes. It was amusing to see that side of him again. It's been a while since he's shown any remorse towards Tony and I over anything. He's on work mode day and night.