009

I slowly open my eyes and see my familiar, bland ceiling. It takes me a moment to realize I'm in my room. How did I get here? I was training, then I fainted. If I fainted, then how did I end up back home?

Kawaki. He must have carried me.

Always so kind to me, always looking out.

I slowly peel back the covers and sit up, a bit dizzy from the sudden movement. I walk toward the door, but when I lift my hand to open it, I notice how swollen and scratched my right hand is. I pause for a moment, trying to piece together what happened. Oh, right—my Chidori. I probably overdid it again. No wonder I fainted.

I roll my eyes, thinking about how reckless I've been. At least I know my Chidori is powerful. I chuckle inwardly, but it's a bittersweet sound. There's this part of me that's always teetering on the edge—bipolar, sadistic, unpredictable. And then there's the other part, the one that just wants to be cared for, to be seen.

I don't want to seem weak by asking for help, even though I know I need it. What do I do? I keep going back and forth, trying to decide whether I should reach out to someone, maybe Kawaki. It's hard to admit you need help, especially when you've always been expected to be strong.

I walk down the stairs to the dining table and sit in my usual chair. Mum is in the kitchen, cooking something, but Sarada isn't there. That's unusual—Sarada is usually around. I start my healing Jutsu on my injured hand, watching the green glow flow into my palm, feeling the warmth of the chakra as it starts to mend the bruises and scratches.

"Oh, Y/n!" Mum says, jumping slightly in surprise. I look up from my hand to see her looking over with a smile.

"Hn?" I reply, not really in the mood to talk about last night. I'm still trying to sort through my thoughts, wondering what I should do next.

"You almost gave me a heart attack, sweetie," she says with a light chuckle, her voice warm.

It takes me a moment to process what she just called me—"sweetie." She's never used that term with me before, at least not that I can remember. I wonder if Sarada is secretly in the room and Mum's referring to her. It wouldn't be the first time I misread a situation. I glance around, but there's no sign of Sarada. It's just Mum and me.

"What did you just say?" I ask quietly, my head tilted down toward my lap.

"That you almost gave me a heart attack?" Mum says, sounding slightly confused.

"No, I mean after that," I reply, my voice still soft but with a bit more edge.

"Ohhh, sweetie," Mum says, realizing what I meant.

So she did call me "sweetie." It's the first time she's used that word with me, and it feels like a tentative step in my direction. Has Mum finally started paying more attention to me? I can't help but feel a flicker of happiness at the thought, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high. Because I've learned that people can change—sometimes they drift away, from someone you know to someone you don't.

"Y/n," Mum calls out to me with a hint of worry on her face, "Do you want something to eat?"

"No, thank you, I'll pass," I reply blandly, my words tinged with a slight cringe at the thought of eating breakfast. Food has never been my favorite topic, especially when I'm not in the mood.

"Hm, okay," Mum responds, a little hesitant. "Tell me if you need anything, and... are you okay?" Her concern is genuine, but I don't want to delve into all the emotions swirling inside me.

"Just stop with the food thing. I'm fine," I say monotonously, my tone flat and uninterested. I hear Mum groan softly at my response, probably frustrated with my attitude.